Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Bye Bye Diapers!

I have to admit, one of my biggest fears of parenting was the dreaded potty training. I don't know why I have always been so anxious about it. It's not like I can't handle messes, even the bodily ones, it's just that I never could quite understand how you teach a kid to go to the bathroom. How does that work?

Well, I've done it twice before, successfully I might add! so my anxiety levels are much lower now. A few weeks ago, Asha got really interested in wearing underwear, so we figured we might give this potty training thing a go.

So after a few days, nope. She wasn't interested in having anyone dictate or even suggest to her when she should use the bathroom. She wasn't interested in having help when she had an accident. Ahhhh!!! After 4 days, we ditched the idea pretty quickly but let her know that soon she'd be big enough to try again. Kezia kept suggesting that maybe Grandma would bring her new panties and candy if she learned how to use the bathroom. Candy? There was a twinkle in her eye and the gears started turning....

Carl's parents came on the 18th, and Asha was still in diapers. After a few days, Asha mentionned to Grandma about panties and candy and wondering if she had any for her. Yes, Grandma brought candy for Asha, for Christmas. Well, the day before Christmas, Asha announced to us all that she would be wearing panties now, and Grandma had candy for her. There was no way to get a diaper on her, and so we figured, let's give this potty training another try.

We're on day 7 and there's no turning back. I guess she was waiting for Grandma to come, because she's only had one accident, on Christmas Eve at church, and has been dry for naps, and even for the 3 hour road trip we took. She doesn't balk at the suggestion of using the bathroom, but hardly needs reminders, as she heads there herself without any bribes of candy (which is seriously amazing for that girl!). It's like this is happening too easy! What was I anxious for? When it happened on Asha's terms, it happened so smoothly.

What a great Christmas present.

5 comments:

andrea said...

wow! what a great feeling! potty training can be so daunting and draining(literally...LOL) but i'm so happy you are getting a dry and willing kiddo in the process! She is doing really amazing!

Roo said...

just want to tell you that the verse you have posted on your side bar ministered to my heart today!

and yes! i can identify...the potty training season is one i have dreaded...and ive only done it once and i have to say it went reasonably well with shi-fry as well. :)

now little eli keeps walking up to the toilet and standing there asking to be lifted so she can sit on it. i think she is nearly ready to start the process as well.

where did my baby go?

Laura Thiessen said...

wow am I ever jealous. no more diapers?!!! a dream!

Louise said...

YEAH so exciting!!

Friesen Family of Four said...

Good going Kathy! I dreaded Olivia's training too but what you were saying about it being on her time! It went really smoothly! Me being a control freak it's hard to let her decide (I'm just thankful she decided right when she was 2!)