This past week was the end of first trimester for the kids. It's amazing how quickly the year is flying by. And I must say that it has been great for all three.
Joel got a perfect report card and on the comments, his teacher had added that he is very intelligent and creative. When I went to talk with his prof. Ximena, she was very pleased with him. Sure, he has had some difficulties where he is finished early and then gets himself into trouble, and like most kids in his class, does get the sad face on occasion for not playing nicely with someone. Well, Carl and I had been thinking that to solve the extra time problem we could get him extra work. Maybe an English chapter book that he could sit and read. Instead, his teacher (whom I am certain is a teaching genius) has figured that he loves Math, so she has sat at home and made up a STACK of extra worksheets for him. She made sure to point out that what Joel is doing is above and beyond the grade 1 expectations. Gosh, I was bursting with pride when I walked out.
Off I went to Kezia's teacher who also had wonderful things to say about her. She too got a perfect score and her teacher praised her excellent work and the positive influence she is on her classmates. Sometimes she gets a bit wrapped up in her drawings and doesn't want to move on to the next activity. We all have told Kezia that there is a time and a place for her art, but it's also important to play with the other kids. I'll make sure that if Kezia becomes a famous artist, that she send an original to her teachers!
Prof. Ana said that Kezia is so eager to help her, explaining something to the other kids, passing out materials, or loaning someone something of hers. I'm so glad that her intelligence is also accompanied by a sincere concern for others. That is something that I couldn't be prouder to see in my child.
Asha didn't have parent teacher, but she did come home with a report card and a little exam. I was more than surprised to get that, but it seems her daycare is pretty serious about preparing kids for school. Her report card was a list of about 20 questions that asked things like, "Is she adapting well to school? Is she able to follow instructions? Does she socialize well with the other kids? Does she verbalize her needs? Is she able to colour and use a pencil? Is she able to learn new songs and dances? Can she speak clearly into a microphone?" A microphone? Ha ha!
Asha has done very well. Her teachers say that she is very sociable with the other kids and shares when she is supposed to. She doesn't hit or bite (she saves that for Joel and Kezia!) and that she very verbal and expressive. And whew! she is progressing as expected in her English class!
Each term we will get a report card on their progress. Asha will even get an evaluation from a child psychologist. They are thorough.
I just have to say that I'm so thankful for the opportunity to send the kids to good schools with capable and talented teachers. They have been so understanding and supportive and truly are passionate about their job. It plays an influencial role in our children's success. And of course, we are as proud as can be of Joel's, Kezia's and Asha's accomplishments. They work very hard on their school work and enjoy learning and discovering new things.
Congratulations Joel, Kezia, and Asha on a wonderful term in school. We are so proud of you all. Shall we go for ice cream sundaes to celebrate?
4 comments:
I cannot think of a better way to celebrate!
YES!!! i hope they were double scoopers. ;) way to go!
Yeah for brilliant children :).
I hear a former Shafter girl is heading your way with her family soon. . . say Hello to Hannah and her family when they arrive (or they may be there already!) with MCC! Hannah is a few years older than Sarah- and we grew up in the same home church. I always looked up to Hannah and her sisters- still do actually :).
wow they are doing great! I know that you spent much time praying about their schooling beofre you starting there...it's so good that God has walked with them and help them adjust, learn and grow!
so what kind of ice cream is their favorite?
Post a Comment