I have been highlighting this book to make sure that I don't miss key things that the author is trying to impress on his readers. For example, physical evidence in our brains can be detected when we've experienced trauma. If a person is constantly in a state of fear and stress their brain is forever being bathed in hormones not meant to be released over a long period of time, which can damage it. That makes it almost impossible for the child to accomplish higher cognitive functions, like reading and social skills. Certain behavioural issues, an uneven gait in our walk, or even the inability to have rhythm can be symptoms of childhood trauma.
There's a lot of people out there who have experienced trauma. Some studies say 39% of the population has witnessed a violent crime, been abused or neglected in some way. That's a lot of broken people. What's even sadder is that though many have had trauma inflicted because an adult chose to hurt them, others have been unknowingly neglected or hurt. There's a lot of healing that needs to happen, a lot of restoration to many hurting people. It feels like it could be a daunting task, but
So that's how I'm able to read such heavy and depressing stuff without being completely overwhelmed with sorrow. My heart is broken, but it's not crushed.
He goes on to say that the way to treat children whom have experienced trauma is to have a safe and predictable environment for them, surrounded by many caring people connecting to them in healthy relationships. Depending on the timing of the trauma, their home environment, and adults in their lives, could be the difference between growing up to being a productive adult, a broken individual or worse, a sociopath.
Sometimes the difference could be a few words. Or healthy touch. An intentional relationship. Look around. Is there a hurting child that you could reach out to?

2 comments:
Hi. I have quietly followed your blog from the sidelines for a while. Just over a year ago my husband and I adopted a little boy. The trauma he experienced is beyond comprehending. Thank you for sharing.
Kim
Thanks for your comments Kim. It's nice that you introduced yourself and thank you for reading our blog.
I think you would really be blessed by Bruce Perry's book that I linked. It gives a lot of helpful information as well as encouragement for those that have children who have experienced trauma.
Post a Comment