This year, Easter didn't have the same impact on me as it has other years. Instead of cutting something out for lent, I tried to add more spiritual disciplines like reading my bible just because and fasting. I tell you there were some moments of clarity and truth that I experienced over the lenten season. The actual Easter weekend felt a bit like a small blip on a radar and not much more. We didn't have a Maundy Thursday with footwashing, or a Good Friday service so Sunday felt a bit like a regular Sunday. I feel guilty for saying that, because there wasn't heart wrenching emotions and introspective days and planned crafts and food making, that I missed the boat. We got back from our trip and right the next day we were heading to family gatherings. I had intended on doing some Easter crafts with the kids but Asha was sick in bed the only afternoon we were home, so I scrapped the idea.
One thing however is we had some good time spent with family. On Friday and Sunday especially, I had conversations with people that I wasn't expecting. My parents were not around for the Easter weekend because a dear friend's funeral was happening out of province. My grandparents hosted lunch on Good Friday and since everyone else had other family happenings except us later on over supper, Carl and the kids and I ended up staying at my grandparents to visit. It has been so long since we've been able to do that and I came away so thankful for my grandparents' advice and insight into life. They are truly wise people.
And on Sunday at my extended-extended gathering (yes, there is such a thing when you are gathering with 3rd cousins....) I had an opportunity to encourage one of my 2nd cousins, who just had her second baby and was feeling overwhelmed with 2 children under two. I had the chance to share my experiences and let her know that even though it feels so overwhelming, she is in fact doing a great job. She got teary eyed and so did I, remembering that this parenting thing is definitely not for the faint of heart, and we need to have someone acknowledge that every once in a while.
It's a good thing to experience an Easter, or anything for that matter, in a different way than you were expecting. Just because it's not the same liturgy and tradition doesn't mean that it is any less meaningful. In fact, because it was unexpected I was blessed.
Not quite what I had hoped for the Easter picture; missing the flowers and green grass outside, having to wear tights, not quite getting everyone looking *normal* at the camera, but hey, it's pretty priceless nonetheless because I got what I wasn't expecting....
No comments:
Post a Comment