I haven't talked much about it, but over the last few months I realized that I needed to make some changes in my lifestyle. After Easter I felt awful. Tired, lethargic, upset stomach, wasn't sleeping much, consuming way too much coffee and sweets....I've been going to Zumba, and I love it but I knew I needed to make a change in other aspects of my life.
For the month of June I did a detox and cleanse; a weight loss and exercise challenge to help me get back on track. I cut out caffeine and eliminated the majority of sweets and processed foods. Oh, I tell you I was an uber crank those first few days! It was horrible, and I'm not going to lie that I thought of quitting many times.
I also started to see a counsellor who has been amazing. My work atmosphere has had its toll on me and over the last few months I have been on a path of discernment. What should I do? What have I been called to? What is best for my family? What is best for me? Right now I haven't heard any words from heaven screaming down at me, but I have heard God's voice telling me to be still and wait. So in that time, I decided I needed a place where I could share and receive some guidance. Carl has been an invaluable support, but I realized that he can't be my counsellor.
After a few weeks of counselling and getting my food intake in check, I started to feel better. I was sleeping more soundly, feeling more alert and well and I was noticing a change in my body. I was excited that clothes that once didn't fit, or I was too self-conscious to wear because they were too tight, started to make an appearance in my regular wardrobe.
My co-worker loaned me a book that gave me some great inspiration on eating healthy and loving life. I'm feeling motivated like I haven't felt before. I want to be healthy, not just skinny, and I want to feel like my life is enjoyable and not about a long list of things I can't eat. I also wanted to be a in a place where life was a peaceful and joyful experience; not like things are perfect, gosh my children are still messy and screaming and there is always laundry to do. But I wanted to have a better outlook on life and be able to have joy regardless of what was swirling around me.
So in a month, I lost 9 pounds and 25 inches off my body. I'm pretty proud of myself and feeling like things are slowly getting into a healthier place.
3 comments:
Praying for you. I don't know how moms who work outside the home keep up, especially with 4 kids. You are doing something extraordinary.
Good for you! Must feel so great! May I ask what the name of the book is that you read? Needing a bit of guidance out this way too.
The book was called Joyous Health by Joy McCarthy. Joy has a blog too that has lots of good information.
http://www.joyoushealth.com/
Post a Comment