Today Carl turned 36! Boo!
A few years ago when I was teaching, a few of my students asked me if my husband felt weird having a birthday on Halloween. I said no, that he didn't feel weird or creepy. I thought that was a funny question, and strange how frequently it was asked.
Yesterday everyone was asking me what we were planning to do for Carl's birthday, and I told them we were going on a date, a kid-less evening. And I said to everyone it was fine to wish Carl a Happy 39th, or even 40th birthday. People got a kick out of being given permission to give him a hard time....Carl's only 36 this year.
Last night, the kids and I made cards for Carl and decided that the presents we bought would be too awkward to wrap. Joel bought him a 2L of Coke (his favourite pop), Kezia wanted to buy him a chocolate bar and then we all picked out a picture to hang on the wall. I had bought Carl a really nice kitchen knife before we left for Bolivia, because Carl loves to cook and he's always muttering, "The worst sin in the kitchen is not having good knives!" So I got him a knife, cheezy, but very practical.
At lunch time we had saltenas and rice for lunch. The kids had had WWWWAAAAAYYYY too much junk at school, and so after only eating half of a saltena, they were too full for even cake. We sang happy birthday and Asha and Carl ate cake.
After naps, and recovery from all the sugar, we dropped the kids at Lynn and Laurie's for the evening. Then we walked to the first ring to catch a micro. I was taking Carl to Fridolin's and was excited about spending the evening with him.
The food was great, we ate ourselves right full, and then ordered dessert and coffee. We chatted about life here, I asked Carl about the things that he enjoys and doesn't enjoy, we talked a bit about the kids, a bit about work. We headed off when the last of the chocolate icing from the Rosa Negra was scraped clean from the plate. Hmmmm....I've missed chocolate anything!
We walked along the strip, down past fancy coffee shops, past nice restaurants to the 2nd ring. I was kind of excited, because this is the first time I've taken my camera out to take pictures (I don't want to get robbed holding onto a nice camera). We hopped on a micro, gazed out at all the neat buildings whizzing by and got off just a block from Lynn and Laurie's.
It was really nice to have a date with Carl. We are blessed to have friends who will watch our kids so we can go out.
I'm also very thankful for my wonderful husband. Sure, I'm a bit biased, but he really is a great guy. He's talented in many ways; in the kitchen, with handy building stuff, with public speaking, administration, with the kids or anyone else's kids....I could go on bragging. I hope he had a good day. We wanted to make him feel special and loved and appreciated on his birthday.
We love you Carl!!


2 comments:
woohoo!!! happy birthday! love the photos.
36 is a great age. :) so far...so good.
(i'm 36....at least i'm pretty sure i am...it's hard to keep track of ages)
You certainly do have a good man, Kathy.
Happy Birthday Carl!
:)
Post a Comment