This week, Carl and I completed our first of 8 weeks of Spanish language class. Our teacher, Shirley is fabulous because she is so thorough. Normally language classes would take place at the office, but we get to go to her house. And it works out marvelously because she lives just a few blocks from where the kids go to school.
7:50, Carl and the kids take the micro to school.
7:55 Carl walks to Shirley's house
8:00 Carl starts his Spanish class
9:50 Kathy walks to Shirley's house
10:00 Carl ends and Kathy begins
10:05 Carl walks back to the office
12:00 Kathy finishes and walks to the school
12:20 Kathy and the kids take the micro home
And that's what we've done this week. I tell you, my head hurts after our class. We both are learning so much. Poor Carl though, he has to unlearn his Portuguese and his butchered Spanish and re-learn the language. I, on the other hand, had very little Spanish, so I'm a clean slate. We have learned a lot about verbs, but also the different situations where you'd use los verbos ser y estar. Then I learned instead of saying I sing, I can say, Yo estoy cantando. And then there's all the vocabulary. Objects in a classroom, food, days of the week, time, body parts, directions, numbers (oh, I just can't get setenta and seistenta and seiscientos straight!!).
I also have had the privilege of having a tutor as well, who meets with me a few times a week in the afternoon for two hours. Delicia and I work on my Spanish homework and she converses with me in Spanish. On Thursday I had two hours with Shirley, lunch, then two hours talking non-stop in Spanish with Delicia. My head ached and so did my mouth at the end of that!
Some days it's exciting, other days mas o menos, but a few times I have felt really discouraged because the thought of learning another language is so daunting. So I try and remind myself that it's a process, where you will feel like you are making progress, then plateau for a while, then surge ahead on a new plane. The other thing is, I keep in mind the people who have been here for 12-18 months and in that time went from cero espanol to being able to have full conversations. They are my inspiration.
The exciting thing about it is that when I learn more Spanish, I will be able to get to know all the people I work with and all the people at church on a whole new level. How exciting to be able to really know someone beyond chit chat about family and the rain! Instead of concentrating on the daunting task of verbs, I should focus on that.
5 comments:
so so proud of you! me and my cero espanlo and your learning and working so hard on it! your brain may be spinning but doesn't it feel great to be able to keep your mind learning? sounds like a busy week...hey how's Asha adjusting to her new surroundings?
Keep at it Kathy! You are a smart cookie. Believe everyone who tells you that you are doing well, because you are! I went to bed at 9pm for the first 2 months in Tanzania.
I only wish I knew Spanish so that I could fit in with the Heppners.
Keep up the hard work! It is daunting but, as you said, as you improve it is so much more fun to talk with our spanish speaking friends. It's amazing - each week we find out more about people around us - like making new friends each week! We enjoy your blog!!
I've enjoyed catching up on the happenings in your lives, and can relate to much of what you've writen about in adjusting to a new country in my South Africa experience. All the best!
so interesting....i especially appreciate your reflection on how immigrants everywhere must feel -- especially that sense of "how in the world do I provide for my family?" It's an important realization that tons of people everywhere feel that way all the time...a good reminder. :) Thank you for such thoughtful reflection -- your blog's a blessing! ~SarahB
Post a Comment