When we made the decision to do this job, we knew there was going to be a lot of sacrifice. We knew we were leaving much of what was comfortable and entering into a stage of life with many unknowns.
Some days I felt like there was no possible way I could manage, this was just too hard, I had reached the end of my rope. Then time would pass and then I would be reminded of his goodness, that with God everything is possible and his rope is length without end.
I would say the last few weeks have been times to be reminded of the insufficient length of my rope.
There have been an enormous amount of changes here, both with staffing and with budget cuts in the last few days. And even though we've only been here a few months and still fairly new, those changes are hard. Though we know in our heads in the long run, the things are for the best, right at this moment in our hearts, it's still hurts, it's still uncomfortable, it's still draining.
So in the midst of all this hurt and fatigue, along comes blessings, the never ending rope. And it's not just the blessings but the amazing timing of it all.
We have a couple here from the States that just wanted to come through and help for 10 days before they continue to Paraguay. Didn't have many details, didn't know what they wanted to do. They showed up on the last day of evaluations, when this place was an emotional hot bed. What a day to come!
But as Carl and I talked with them to see what they would like to do, I was amazed at how God in his awesome way was reminding me of his provisions and care.
I was wondering if there was enough time in the support staff schedule for them to prepare morning snack. Sure, we could get rid of it, but it's a cultural thing that people really appreciate and need right now.
Judy decides that she wants to bake every morning this week for the staff.
There's a bunch of unfinished painting projects that are left for Carl to do on his own and he was wondering what he would do without Pedro.
David says he brought painting clothes and would like to paint.
A number of us have curtains that don't fit right or none at all in our homes.
Judy wants to sew not only curtains, but pillows, and bedspreads to match.
The remaining support staff are hurting from the lay offs.
Judy decides to bake and visit and laugh it up with them in the afternoon.
The kids were just saying how they miss their Grandparents.
Judy and David spend an hour reading stories to them.
It's not coincidence. It's not anything we orchestrated. God pours out his blessings on you in such a track-stopping way that you are left reeling. He knew exactly when my rope would run out. He knew exactly what I, and everyone here, needed before we even knew ourselves.
He made sure that despite what was going on, we were taken care of and abundantly blessed by him.
That rope will never end.
6 comments:
Hi Guys,
We're thinking of you and praying for you. Kathy, someday you should really submit some of these thoughts to a devotional publisher...you're a good writer, and I'm sure a lot of people could relate! :)
Keep counting the blessings!
Kelly
what an incredible blessing in the midst of a stressful time!
hugs for you! love you!
Just like what the header says below your blog title....God will provide!!
xoxo
wow. God bless you.......!
sounds like "hope on a rope"....
kinda like "soap on a rope" but WAY BETTER. :) xo
That is such a blessing!
Thank God for a long rope!!
:)
HUGS dear!
I feel some tears of my own coming on as I read your post. I remember those moments in Brazil. I thought I'd experienced the "end of the rope" feeling before, and then I'd be brought to a place where I couldn't breathe, so afraid that doom was around the next corner, so exhausted in a way that I couldn't describe and damnit! it looks like a hurricane is coming through and I can't hear anyone talk over the noise of this incessant rain on our tin roofs. Or the rubber nuts would explode and I would want to scream at them for not thinking of my troubles with loud unexpected noises. Or someone would ask me to teach a class on top of my seven day filled-to-the-brim schedule and I would want to catch the next canoe to town.
But then my friend Mary-Jane would come over, or I'd sit in silence peeling garlic for an afternoon, or I'd get to hang out with my Brazilian girlfriends, and suddenly, without the sleep of death, I;d have recovered, not in a way that I'd deem sufficient, but sufficient for one more day. And that is all we need, it seems, just that one day.
I am glad you are experiencing God's grace.
Much love to all,
Megan
Post a Comment