Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Our Most Southern Canada Day

It's been almost a week since Canada Day, but things have been a bit busy around here so I haven't had time to update you on our family happenings.

Well, last Wednesday was Canada's 142th birthday and it was also our weekly potluck night. There are three families from Canada that are part of potluck, plus three SALTers. We all wore our Canadian gear, or wore red, just to get into the spirit of things. Kathleen brought stickers for people to plaster on to themselves, and Kailey and Jessica had pins for everyone. How could we not be patriotic by this point?!

We BBQed meat, had great salads, and a lovely Canadian cake. Kailey and Jessica had made flags for it, just to add a bit more decoration. The food was really good.

As we sat around the table visiting, people (Canadians and others alike) talked about how we Canadians aren't that patriotic. Not maybe as passionate as some of our neighbours? I've gone to the fireworks back home, we sometimes had a picnic, but we never wore the shirts, the hats, the hair do-dads, the stickers, the face painting, the flags, the cake...that would have been way too over the top! But it's interesting because as soon as you take a Canadian out of Canada, they become flaming patriots, or at least smoldering.... I wonder why that is?

Well, I could go on and on about national identity and world relations, but my time on the computer this evening is limited. Enjoy the pictures and I'll be back to tell you what other things we've been up to.......


3 comments:

andrea said...

how come in every picture you post you are just having an absolute blast! ...gotta love reason to celebrate ...and yes, this is a great one!

Louise said...

That is awesome!!
Looks like a great time :)

Roo said...

yummmmmmmmmy cake! love the photos. :)