Friday, January 8, 2010

The Adventures with Jack and Ruth

The last few days, as we have welcomed in 2010, have been very good days with our family here. Carl's parents and us have settled into quite the lovely routine. It's so comfortable and familiar, and yet never dull, that's for sure.

One Saturday we drove around Morganland colony, stopping and saying hi to Jack and Ruth's friends. Everyone was amazed to see that Carl was no longer a 3 year old and had a family of his own. Though we didn't know any of these people personally, Carl and I enjoyed seeing the reunions between Mom and Dad and their friends.

While the office was closed, we all worked in the main reception area, sanding, mudding, painting etc. It was a fun family project as we worked together. I tell you, it's much more fun with more hands. Also, there are more people to join you, standing back and being proud of your work.

Today, we had the opportunity to drive out to Chorovi, where Mom, Dad, Carl, and Wendell lived in the 70's while they were missionaries here. The pastors of the conference Mom and Dad worked with had invited us to join them for the day while they had their meetings. There again, we saw some special reunions.

One in particular that brought most of us to tears was when we drove down the rural gravel road a bit from Chorovi looking for a couple and an older gentleman. They had been involved in the church as well as one was treasurer for the mission. As we were driving, Dad yelled for me to stop so he could ask a young fellow if he knew where this particular gentleman lived. We were about to turn around and go back, when someone yelled, "The man you are looking for is coming down the road". And there he was, pushing a wheelbarrow, stooped over from years of hard work. A couple from where we had stopped came out, and lo! and behold, they were the couple Mom and Dad were looking for. 35 years later, these people hadn't moved, they were still there. Imagine having someone stop by your house that you haven't seen in such a long time?! They all talked a while, we exchanged greetings and the older man even sang a few of the old church songs for Mom and Dad. I got some video of it that I know will probably move my father in law to tears.

I couldn't help but think we had the opportunity to witness a special reconnection. You don't get those kinds of opportunities very often.

We continued down this sloppy, bumpy road until the water seemed to high in one place to continue, so we turned around. As we drove back, I looked out the window and thought I saw some small animal was trekking across the road.

It was not an animal.
It was a Tarantula!

Can I just tell you I was so startled that I immediately slammed on the brakes and stopped the vehicle? I jumped out with everyone to look at this monster crossing the road. It was as big as my hand, no joke, no exaggeration either! It was amazing. Dad got some pretty sweet pictures (I didn't download them yet; plus I know half of you would immediately get the shivers and lift up your legs quickly from under the desk where you would swear a spider is lurking).

Once we returned to the camp, we joined some people in trying to get the mangoes down from the trees. Some mangoes were the size of oranges and were pretty tasty, those that could be knocked down with a rock. But then there were others that had to be knocked down with a stick because they were as big as papayas. Again, a I've-never-seen-that-before!!! experience, all in one afternoon. I ate a mangoe the size of a small soccer ball and almost forgot about the spider. Mom and Dad ate too and were in their glory.

We came home, whipped together some supper to eat. Joel went straight to bed without even eating because he was so tired from running non-stop with the other boys.

Days are so great with Grandma and Grandpa here. To play with, to tell stories with, to hug and kiss every morning and every night. Here's praying that time will just slow down like molasses.

5 comments:

Laura Thiessen said...

amen.

especially when you're getting the opportunity to run over a spider that may do damage to the underside of your vehicle!! I can see it:
Slow motion, the spider lifts up his arms and covers his face,
"N-O-O-O-o-o-O-O!"

but instead Kathy stops the vehicle and gets out to look at it crawl away instead. What possessed you to leave him alive, I wonder? ;)

andrea said...

oh, those are special moments! slowing down and savouring...i'll be praying with you! just like how Jack and Ruth impacted many years ago, they are still impacting those same people today...made me smile thinking of you and Carl and the blessings you are giving to so many!
Love you and i'm so proud!

Kathy said...

Laura, have you ever watched the movie Attack of the Spiders? Well, in this really dumb movie these people drove over a herd of spiders and they clogged the vehicle (so fake) and then climbed up into the cab (again, fake and so cheezy) and killed the people. Maybe I responded to some hidden unconscious trauma from that movie?

Friesen Family of Four said...

Yuk about the spider but yea about the meeting with old friends and the memories that Carl's parents could experience. God is so great and knows just how to bless you and how!!!

Roo said...

AHHHHHH!!! seriously! xo