Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Elena's 3rd Month

Elena is three months and blossoming into quite the baby.  This month she's really turned into quite the character.

She found her voice and loves to coo and gurgle.  Just on Monday, Elena started blowing spit bubbles, so out come the bibs to catch some of the slobber.

Elena now weighs 6 kg (13lb 2oz) and is 64 cm long (25 inches).  The doctor told me that she's really tall, growing 3 cm in one month. I haven't taken her for her shots yet, kind of dreading it because the last time she cried, sobbed, and wailed the entire day....

This month, Elena discovered that though the soothers I bought her are very pretty (though it's more like wishful thinking on my part) she'd rather not suck on soothers.  Nope she's a finger sucker, just like I was.


We've never had a child that prefers their fingers over the soother.  Of course there are pros and cons. There's no looking for the soother at 4 a.m. or standing in a filthy market street wondering if you licking off the dropped soother will actually help.  But then there's no taking away a finger or thumb at age 4 and the orthodontist bills could be through the roof.  Well, I'm not thinking about pros and cons, I'm thinking about what makes her happy.  Plus, you have to admit, it's terribly cute, isn't it?

Elena went on her first vacation on the train this month, and also did quite a bit of trips in the trufi and in taxi.  She also had her first Easter, even though the weather wasn't conducive to lovely pictures in the grass.



One cool developmental thing this month is that she can roll from  her tummy onto her back!  Now, there's no leaving the baby on the couch unattended; well, that hardly happens on account of a very zealous-with-her-lovin' older sister.

Elena also went for her first studio pictures and did quite well.  Although she wasn't super smiley, she did put up with the goofy photographer trying to get her to smile for over 20 minutes.  Seriously, babies don't understand when you yell at them, Sonrie! Sonrie!

Ah, it's been a good month with our little sausage.  Yes, the poor thing is now known as sausage, or chorizo, which I think sounds a little better.  How is that my kids all end up with food nicknames?

Anyways, here's looking forward to a great month with our lil' Elena.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

oh my lands, she's got some beautiful eyes! Simon just discovered his fingers this past weekend but still takes the soother. We'll see if it lasts. I'm glad she's done well, and that she has such wonderful attendants to help her (sis's and bro). I'm also not looking forward to the next round of shots.
Thinking of you guys lots, and glad to hear how the Elena, and the rest of you guys are doing. Much love.

Kathy said...

Thanks Rachel for your kind words. I would love for Simon and Elena to meet one day. Every time she does something, I think of him and wonder if he's doing the same....

Curtis and Deneen said...

Oh, she is a beauty!!

Arelis said...

Take heart Kathy! I sucked my thumb until I was 4/5 years old and never had to get braces! :) She is so precious...and I love reading these updates. I really really hope I get to meet her this summer and see all of the other kids again. We will see!