It's hard to believe that we've been here in Manitoba for a week. It's gone by in a blur....
The travel went well on Sunday and Monday, which was a blessing. Nothing to report, no vomiting or lost bags. Only my almost exploding sinuses on the airplane due to the leftovers of a cold and a rapid decent. Other than that, it was a wonderfully normal flight back.
We were greeted by friends and family after making it out of the customs in a record of 2 minutes. That night we had supper with our parents, which was nice and surreal all at the same time.
The last 7 days have been us catching up on sleep, organizing our tiny sweet apartment in our parents' basement, getting a cell phone that actually flips! and reconnecting with lots of family and friends. It has been so good to be loved on and fed and to be in the presence of people whom we've missed terribly.
The kids are doing alright. Joel is definitely spending more time either by himself or bugging the snot out of one of his sisters, Kezia is more cuddly and less chatty, and Asha is super wild. Elena is drooling and smiling and growling like usual. She loves that she can now be on the floor and is getting lots of use out of her cousins' play mat. They have all enjoyed time with family, swimming in the pool and the pond at the farm, going to parks and BBQ's. They have had a few moments this week where they encounter something new. Like stuff in the bathroom, seat belts and car seats, the yogurt that they thought they could drink but comes out in one big clump onto your face, and ketchup chips. And that you can leave stuff out in the yard (like the flower pots) and they won't get stolen even though there isn't a 6 foot fence. This week the older two have enjoyed going to VBS in the evenings, giving them the opportunity to make some friends and have activities that are completely child-centered.
And how are Carl and I doing? Well, pretty decent. I feel like we're on vacation, sort of. Carl has been a bit under the weather from a nasty bug he picked up just before he left. Ah, sweet Bolivia came with us....
The weather is coolish. I have yet to put on a pair of shorts and we haven't sweated once. I almost did this afternoon and then the weather turned cool. Poor Elena was dressed in a romper outfit this morning when we left sunny Steinbach only for it to turn 16 and cloudy in the city. With no back-up outfit and the risk of freezing, she got herself a new outfit on the fly.
People ask us if there are things we miss or if we are in culture shock and it's hard to answer. I miss passion fruit ice cream and my church in Spanish. I miss my dear friends. I miss my electric shower and the zero risk of ever burning yourself with the hot water gushing from the kitchen tap. I miss choclo and empanadas. But I'm glad that I have only seen one ant this week, and that wasn't even by the plum I left out for two days. I love having a washing machine that I can use whenever I want, but the Root beer tastes funny. What is with the low sinks and door handles everywhere? Seriously, is everyone that short? I'm having a hard time walking barefooted inside, so unless I'm asked to, I keep my flip flops on, which are of way better quality than the foamy things people have here. Not everything in third world is third class, you know. Holy cow things are expensive!! So much selection in a store is so awesome and so overwhelming at the same time. White eggs are a bit creepy, like they aren't natural or something; I miss the brown eggs that are super easy to crack. I miss kissing people, even if you don't know them, in greeting, and then again when you leave. Wow, there are a lot of people here that smoke, so maybe it's okay that we're not kissing all the time.
I have pictures, but I haven't uploaded them yet. Gasp! That is totally out of my character. Pictures NEVER stay on the camera! Either I'm more relaxed than I was before, or I'm tired, or I'm just shell-shocked and I don't know it yet. We'll see how this next week goes. I'll be back before long though, don't worry, maybe even with pictures.
4 comments:
Thanks for the update! Your list makes me teary because I can feel the ache and the slight disequilibrium of things that are familiar and yet new and uncomfortable. But there is also so much joy. Yay for no ants! =)
Have been thinking of you all. And will continue to. Much love.
How exciting to be back in Manitoba but I can only imagine how the transition and adjustment will take time. Praying that the time will continue to be filled with His perfect Grace and His leading. Willie and I saw our Bean Game cards the other day and thought of you and wondered how long it had been since you were here... 6 years!!! Yikes! So much has changed. And yet God remains the same - how great is that!! Continue to get rest...blessings to you.
Oh girl...I can't even IMAGINE the transition. You may have spent the majority of your lives here in Canada (you and Carl anyway...) but the last 3 years in Bolivia have had such a strong impact on you.
I'm looking forward to seeing you IN PERSON soon (possibly even this week!!!!!!!!!!!!) to get physical proof that you ARE actually back!!
Post a Comment