Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Ride For Refuge

A number of weeks ago a friend of mine sent out an invitation to become involved in Ride for Refuge.  I hadn't heard of the organization before and I didn't take the call very seriously.  A few days later, another note on her blog.  Then an email to her friends.   I was thinking that I would quickly donate something and leave it at that.

But one evening while were driving home from somewhere, I was overcome with sadness as thoughts of women in war torn countries were trying to protect their families a midst the bombs dropping.  I was brought to tears to think of babies with no one to rock them to sleep or children that were curled up on a cardboard mat in a gutter.  I thought of the young women in our city, trying desperately to raise their child alone.  I sat there and was just feeling so upset and discouraged and then I sensed His voice saying, "That's moving that you feel so deeply, but why don't you put those feelings into action.  You can actually do something".  And that's when it hit me.  I sent her an email that day.


 I think I was hit with His words because I can expend so much empathy towards those that are less fortunate without actually using any energy to do something about the heart breaking situation.  We send cheques and that's great.  But I think I was convicted to do something beyond that, something that would cost me.  Not just financially, but my time.  I love my Saturday mornings and it's not like I'm in that great of shape for a long bike ride.  And also my pride.  It's not easy asking people to give money.

I talked to the kids and asked them if they wanted to ride with me.  All three said, "Sure!  We'll ride for babies and mamas and poor people,".  I was touched by their enthusiasm, but a bit embarrassed that it took me so long to say yes.




















Sometimes it's hard to think that one small decision will actually bring peace and justice and love to someone.  I wonder then as I chose to drive my van, or as I chose to make chicken for supper, or as I chose to purchase clothes for my kids, what kind of impact it has on people around the world.  I will go on a rabbit trail a bit and say that it erks me when people talk about being in their own bubble and the choices they make don't impact those in El Salvador or Uganda or Laos or Pakistan.  We're all connected and I won't be swayed in thinking that even the choice of toilet or coffee or clothes I purchase makes a difference to people thousands of miles away.  And I know it makes a difference to people that live in my own city.

Okay, there's my rabbit trail thoughts.....


























So why am I riding this Saturday?  Well, I want to make a difference.  I want to teach empathy and compassion to my kids.  I want to model it.  I want to be reminded of those that can't stand up for themselves, orphans, widows, teen moms, the homeless, babies, those that have been marginalized in our society.  Who's going to be their advocate?  I want to do something that will cost me.  Financially, time, and the state of my poor legs when it's all said and done.


























Some of you reading this are riding along with the thousands of people in Canada and the US.  Some of you have generously supported the cause and pledged money.  And many of you have committed to praying for this, for safety and that efforts can be taken and used to bless many  more than we can ever imagine.  If you would like to sponsor us, send me a message at kathyheppner(at)gmail(dot)com and I'll get you the link.

But even more, if you are reading this and wonder what in the world you can do, PLEASE PRAY.  You have no idea how far reaching those prayers can be.

I'm excited and scared and moved to be part of something like this.  Realistically, I'm praying for good weather and health and safety.  And this bike ride won't be the end.  That it won't be just something I can check off in my good book list and feel good that I've done my part.  May this only be the beginning......



1 comment:

Roo said...

can i just say how proud of i am of you? sooo thankful to be connected on this side of heaven. YES...absolutely yes...let's kick APATHY IN THE BUTT!!! this ride is about sooo much more than digits and dollars......it's about intercession....it's about movement on the cause of those without a voice. And when we ride...i believe there will be movement in the relm where it MATTERS! so...bless you....you will never know this side of heaven what this one little step has meant. and yes, as you said...may it be just the beginning of more! more for the King and His eternal Kingdom. xo