I've been working at MCC for the last month and have really enjoyed it. Yes, I am a morning person, so rising before 6 a.m., riding the bus and arriving at the office before 7 hasn't been much of a stretch.
It all started a few months ago when Carl called and informed me that there was a few administrative assistant positions available. He wondered if I might be interested in the one that dealt with Global Family, MCC's educational sponsorship program, would be a good fit. Since I hadn't received a phone call from a school division, I thought I would apply.
I did, I interviewed and they offered me the job. How lovely! It ended up that I had to delay my start date for a bit since I was enrolled in summer school, but MCC was gracious enough to wait for me.
My responsibilities include editing and writing reports that go out to donors of our educational programs. The reports go out in fall (right now) and in spring. See, how it works is that there are over 180 programs that MCC has partnered with all over the world. These partners are educationally based, either with girls, HIV/AIDS, career training, peace and justice etc. There is a 3 year plan laid out and then we in Global Family raise funds to match the commitment of the partnership. The best part of it all is it is community driven, not North American-ly controlled as to the priorities of the program. Since it is community focused, there are no individual children sponsored, but an entire community where everyone benefits. No jealously or those that are left out.
There are receipts that need to be mailed out, documents that are merged, provincial offices that are resourced as they promote Global Family. There are international offices which we connect with in regards to the reports. I have a HUGE amount of information at my finger tips, which at first seemed really daunting, but I'm become more familiar as I navigate through my job each day.
My boss is a great guy to work with. He is passionate about education and MCC, and so am I. A good fit.
3 comments:
so proud of you sweetie! so happy it is going so well
So does this mean that teaching is on hold for now?
Yes, Michelle, teaching is on hold for a while and I'm content with that.
Post a Comment