Friday, October 11, 2013

I am not Superwoman

Carl's been gone for two weeks now on an international trip for MCC and I'm home trying to juggle everything. I tell you, when there were only two young kids, and I was home with them alone while Carl traveled,  I was exhausted. I could barely fry up some hamburger and find a piece bread to throw on a plate for each kid. Now that the kids are older (I know it sounds crazy because there are more of them) but it's actually easier when Carl travels for work.

The kids are able to help out more around the house when there is only one parent. Somebody can load up the dishwasher and someone else can flip the pancakes, someone else can walk the dog or entertain a little sister. Certainly I can't do it all on my own, that is for sure. My neighbours have been a huge help and family has also been a great support.

Joel and Kezia make up the schedule for who gets to sleep in my bed, "so Mom isn't lonely". I so appreciate that because these last few weeks have been harder and it's great to snuggle in with another little person night after night when the days have seemed so heavy and filled with things that tire me.

Work has been going well and I'm thankful I have been able to scale back my hours (to owe later) during Carl's absence. Getting meals together hasn't been too bad; I ordered in only tonight, the last night because I'm so done with trying to cook something. It's not the every day stuff that has tired me, it's the unexpected like....

The little fender bender that barely left a dent but is a hassle to deal with
Buying carseats with 4 kids at 9:30 at night
The awful cold
Having to fulfill volunteer hours on a particular day, grrrr...
The alarm doing wonky things
Scheduling the van for a replacement part
A really really big decision to be made

I was reminded by Kezia a few days ago that there aren't really many problems in our life, just inconvenient things that make us cry. Oh, I can totally see that! It's good to be put in situations where you are shown just how human you are. I have been thankful for little answers to prayers, like the day we all slept in and I had even more things to get ready before we left. We got to school/work on time (hallelujah), Elena had no accidents at daycare (Praise God because I forgot to pack extra clothes) and my MPI appointment ended in time for me to pick up the kids (Thank you Lord).  None of that had anything to do with my efforts.

I am definitely not Superwoman and I am thankful for that. Once Carl comes home, I'm checking out and having a nap....

My devotional verse today...

"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honour depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge." Psalm 62:5-8

No comments: