Saturday, February 1, 2014

First Work Trip

A few weeks ago I went away for my first work trip. I was a bit anxious about it because I haven't been away from the family for that long. Sure, there have been trips before where I've gone somewhere with Carl or one of the kids, but never on my own. I can't ever remember flying somewhere without having to be responsible for someone!

I must admit, I do like travelling so heading somewhere with less cold and snow was appealing. I knew that Carl would be fine without another parent in the house, but I still remember being on my own and though I was capable, I was tired. It's hard to be on the entire time for your children and work and then still have time for yourself. The part I always missed was the adult conversation in the evening before bed.

The trip was fairly uneventful and the meetings were long. It was made easier to sit at the tables for 8 hours a day when there were chocolates sitting there, begging to be consumed. I ate a lot of chocolate......

Even for an extrovert, I was completely done with being with people. I told a colleague of mine who is the most introverted person I've ever met, "If I see you twitching, I'll escort you somewhere by yourself before you totally lose it!" The meetings were helpful and it was really beneficial to meet people face to face; put a person to an email. And of course to sit and listen and contribute to meaningful discussions was very insightful.

I was however disappointed that my travel plans changed and I ended up missing my flight and having to stay an extra day. I was supposed to come home Friday night, but only made it home by Saturday noon. Kezia had her first competition that morning and I knew that not only would I miss most of it, but Carl would have to haul three kids to a babysitter's house and then get a gymnast ready by 10:45 a.m. But he did it! I raced out of the airport, grabbed a taxi and headed to the gym, only to sit down on the bleachers as Kezia was about to do her floor routine. She looked over just before she started, I made eye contact and she gave me a huge smile and did a fabulous routine; second place!

It was good to be home.

No comments: