Tuesday, February 10, 2015

(Definitely not) On my own

Carl had the opportunity to travel to Thailand for two weeks with MB Missions. It was a great experience for him to connect with the missionaries, to meet the partners and local church people first hand, and come to a better understanding of the ministry there.

I was very excited that he had the chance to go, and I was almost completely not jealous that I couldn't go! The only thing was that with my job not being very flexible, we would need to arrange for someone to pick up the kids from school. Maybe even if they were generous to take them to their activities etc. That gave me mild anxiety on the best of days. I mentioned this to my friend Kim who scoffed at me when I told her I was looking into hiring someone while Carl was gone. "If Carl is going on behalf of the church, then the church can very well take care of his family while he's gone". I was so moved.

She organized a spreadsheet of our schedule, advertised the need in the church bulletin and arranged people to pick up our kids from school, take them to track, take them to piano, take them to gymnastics. Then Carla wanted to help as well, so she organized a number of people to bring over meals so that I wouldn't have to worry about making supper when I got home. Then Gord offered to pick up the kids from their evening activities so that I wouldn't have to pack up the rest of my crew and venture out.

The support was overwhelming and beautifully humbling. People asked if I was doing alright and reminded me that if I needed anything they could help. There were evenings when I missed adult conversation and lo and behold, a friend would call to chat. Some days I was really tired and missed Carl but then over a bowl of soup or a double chocolate cookie that someone had lovingly made for us, my heart was blessed and encouraged. It feels good to be taken care of.  Since it was Elena's birthday while Carl was gone, Kevin and Val invited us all over for supper and made dessert a bit more special for her by putting in a candle and singing to her.

I have the utmost respect for parents out there raising children on their own. The strength that is needed is out of this world. I also realize that it takes a community to raise a child and I'm so thankful for those that see the need and act on it.

My prayer and my commitment is to be more aware of the needs around me and bless those in my vicinity like my church family blessed me.

No comments: