My prayers for the day were that our luggage would arrive safely and that the kids would sleep on the plane.
We said goodbye to my brothers and Mom in the morning. I tried not to cry, but it's hard not to at this point. I didn't realize how much I relied on my mom for a listening ear, for sound advice, and for someone just to hang out with, someone who understands me. We were spoiled to have them so close for the summer. And now we were moving across the world...
The drive in was good. Carl and the kids went with his parents and I rode along with my Dad in the big van filled with our luggage. I chatted with him as the sun came up and marveled at how beautiful it was. My last Manitoba sunrise (it's not like I see many of them; I don't get out of bed until the sun is above the horizon!). Maybe the sunrise will look the same in Bolivia, I wondered.
We got to the airport and Judy, Byron and Kristal, Nelson, and John were there to greet us. We small talked for a while, took some pictures, and then we had to get into line to check in. So we cried and hugged and cried some more. And then we waited in line 6 feet away from where they were all standing. So then they joined us in line! Okay, we got up to the counter and then we all hugged and cried and hugged again and then we made our way towards the customs door. We got the luggage charge all figured out and then we just stood there. If we go through the emotional turmoil of saying goodbye, we actually have to leave!
Finally, we walked through with all our luggage, took one teary-eyed glance back, and then went forward. It was hard, but all the dread was gone now. The lump in my chest was gone because there were no more goodbyes. No more agonizing farewells. We were now looking forward to what lay ahead for us.
We were so glad that we were able to take the carseat with us on the airplane. We figured we would take one along to Bolivia for Asha, until she learned to sit still in a vehicle (kids don't ride in carseats, let alone use seatbelts). Carl and I hoped that we would be able to strap her in her seat and that she would be happy (or at least quiet) for the duration of the flights.
The first segment, Kezia and Joel quietly played and Asha ate a few snacks. She wasn't too happy sitting in the seat and squawked a number of times. It was getting a bit annoying, so we decided the next segment, we would give her some Gravol.
We ate lunch in the Chicago airport and had a bit of time to walk around. We gave both girls some Gravol and even before we took off, Kezia was slumped over and snoring. Yes! One down, one to go. Asha took a bit longer but soon she was sleeping as well. Joel listened to music and bopped around in his seat. It was a wonderful flight.
At the Miami airport, we found some greasy pizza and chinese food for supper and then I was planning to take the kids for a walk. We wandered around a bit, trying to avoid the construction places. Asha was happy in the stroller while the other kids chatted away. I wasn't really looking where we were going, I just knew we had to make it back to gate E7. Well, I should have been looking....
We wandered through double glass doors, to where I thought would be terminal F. Wrong. It was back outside to the main entrance of the airport. I had walked past the security area without realizing it. Then panic set in. How would I get back? I don't have any ID! I don't have my boarding pass! Carl doesn't have a cell phone! He has EIGHT carry-on bags with him! He can't just come and get me!
So I ran to information and asked them where the airline information desk was. I waited in line, only to be redirected to another line. Asha wasn't happy in the stroller anymore and Kezia was rolling around, picking up bits of yuckies on the floor. Arg!
Finally I found someone to help me and she told me that I should never walk around the airport without ID or my boarding pass (yes, note to self the next time I'm in an airport again). They paged Carl, someone at the other end watched our stuff, and he met me and the kids at security. I felt like such a dummie. Well, what can you do? A lesson learned, and never repeated again!

.
We gave all three of the kids Gravol before our night flight. I have to admit, I was really nervous how they would do for 8+ hours on the plane. But my worries subsided as my prayers were answered...one by one, they quietly dropped off to sleep. And they stayed that way for 7 hours. Sure, it wasn't the most comfortable sleep, but I was so thankful that they all slept.
We landed in La Paz early that next morning to drop off and pick up people. I knew that the altitude was high, and I had briefly read somewhere about altitude sickness....
First Joel complained that he had a headache, and then he started barfing.
Then Carl got a wicked headache.
Then Kezia started to throw up.
Next, moi, yakking up my granola bar.
And then without warning Asha exploded in a sea of vomit.
Do you know how awkward it is to be barfing in a bag while trying to catch your child's puke in another? Not like I'd recommend you try it. Oh, I've never used one of those barf bags before in the dozens of times I flown, but our family used up two rows worth in less than 15 minutes. And we didn't even eat much for breakfast. I was really hoping that we would just get going already and wondered, how do people adjust to living so high up? Well, another lesson learned, hopefully not repeated!
We got to Santa Cruz in less than an hour after take-off. The ride was quite bumpy (and I was secretly scoping out the next rows' barf bags just in case) because there was a rain storm over the city. When we arrived, it was raining hard and it was cool. Thankfully, we made it without incident through customs and were reunited with all but one of our bags. I was so tired and queasy that I didn't even fret (and just a side note, the bag came the next day, yeah!).
Cesar, the country rep (though I think they have a different name now...anyhoo) picked us up and managed to get all our bags in and on the jeep he was driving. I was so thankful to finally be there. As we drove, things looked slightly familiar and our kids just gawked out the window.
I didn't see the sunrise, it was too cloudy and late in the morning, but I looked out and thought, this is home now.
8 comments:
wow. bless you cathy. i am soo glad for you that gravol worked! i heard it can go either way (either kids get sleepy OR they get super excited) with my nephews (sherwood and jocelyns boys)it workd the opposite way on one of their trips.
:) thinking about you..... xoxox sending you a hug.
wow. bless you cathy. i am soo glad for you that gravol worked! i heard it can go either way (either kids get sleepy OR they get super excited) with my nephews (sherwood and jocelyns boys)it workd the opposite way on one of their trips.
:) thinking about you..... xoxox sending you a hug.
what an adventure! you could write a book with all your experiences! i'm so happy that you arrived safely and almost all your baggage came.though you were sick, it only makes sense with the travelling time and the stress of leaving/coming home!
i am praying for you!
That sure is a LONG day. I've done that trek a bunch of times with my folks and once by myself...and you did it with KIDS...WOW you made it!! Gives me a glimpse of what it must have been like for my parents travelling with the four of us kids!
Glad you made it safe and sound.
All the best settling into your new life!
HUGS!!
Ditto...WOW...again, WOW...we prayed so much for you that day, the day before, the day after, not knowing when exactly in our time you would land. So glad everything worked out, not without some excitement, mind you. I do have to laugh at you wandering around the airport, though. I can just see you and your stroller...yes, you should consider writing some of these stories for money!!:)
My kids continue to remember you in their prayers also...Braden almost stood up in our church sharing time, asking people to pray for you, but was a little too shy. It was very cute.
Kathy -- you have LOADS of people thinking of you and praying for you (and MISSING you!!), and I hope you feel that as you settle in to your new life.
Sniff, sniff...but I have to say, I got a bit teary reading this, letting it settle in that you are actually WAY out there for a few years.
I always love reading your blog. Thanks so much for keeping it during this new segment of your life (I won't include "Far far away from me" :()
Oops to the wandering in the airport eh?
Lots of lessons at a time when lessons are the last thing you need!
Wow, the start of an adventure WITH an adventure! :) I'm glad that you all arrived safely in Bolivia!
See you in a month! :)
Post a Comment