Friday, November 14, 2008

What Skills!

This is how it all started:

Two weeks ago, Kezia said that she really didn't like her velcro shoes anymore. She really wanted to wear the shoes with laces. I told her that she didn't know how to tie her shoes and if she wore the shoes to school, her teachers couldn't be tying and retying her shoes all day long.

Well, she was very insistent that she wanted to wear the shoes and was sure that the laces wouldn't ever come undone. I asked her, "What happens if they do?" And she replied without a blink of an eye, "I'll just learn to tie my shoes."

Who ever heard of a three year old learning to tie their shoes? I admired her determination, but wondered what would come of this business of wearing laced shoes to school.

A few days ago, Kezia was in her room getting her shoes on. It was taking longer than the usual forever time, and so Carl went in to see what was taking her so long. As he went in, he saw that she was attempting to tie her shoes.

When he watched longer, he realized that she wasn't just attempting, she was actually doing it! He could hardly believe his eyes. Neither of us had taught her! She was so proud of herself, and I was feeling a bit humbled by not having more faith that she could learn if she had the determination to do so. Apparently, she had asked one of the other MCC children, Clara to help her. Thanks Clara!


8 comments:

andrea said...

what on earth! she is so smart! pretty cool that she can now teach Joel too! you and Kezia must be so proud! adorable!

Roo said...

she is brilliant!!! she is 3??? and in school. do they start kids early in school over there?

love your updates....

Louise said...

That is awesome!!
How exciting for her!

Paul said...

Awww...I laughed and I almost cried! How precious!

Laura Thiessen said...

what a sweet video. I love it! Thanks for sharing your family's special moments!

Becky said...

Well how amazing is that! What a very dexterous (is that a word?) little girl! And then teaching her big brother, incredible! You guys must be pretty proud of your young uns!

Roo said...

kathy! here is a link to a short tutorial i used in making my baby the "baby legs"

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=ofpagp8.496mjfzs&Uy=-h0q8ai&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&UV=877586597877_741957945208&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

Andrea said...

okay -- SERIOUSLY?!?! now, that is amazing!! she must be so proud of herself!