Wednesday, November 26, 2008

GASP!



Yes, that's a bug that Joel and Nati caught last week with his new bug catcher from Home Group. It's a bug that saws off small branches on trees. Joel said that it clung to his shirt and pinched his skin when he was trying to put it in the container. I just shudder at the thought.

No one seems to know the real name of the bug. It's something like Serrucho, which Patro says means Sawing Bug. All I know is that I was pretty creeped out by the size. It was as big as my palm, although Joel pointed out it had a lovely iridescent back. He held onto it for a few days and then let it go. Until he finds the next "big one" crawling around my backyard.

Yesterday I saw a cockroach 4 cm long and then this afternoon I thought what I saw was a large bat flying around our patio. As I got closer, I realized it wasn't a bat, it was a giant moth. I'm not going to sleep well tonight, are you?

7 comments:

andrea said...

thankfully, your son will protect you from all the creepy crawlers around your home...unless he brings them inside and forgets about them! Gasp! is right!

Laura Thiessen said...

hilarious! you are such a good writer, kathy! I feel like I've just heard it right from your lips after reading your blog. leapin' lizards, you got big bugs down there! :) love, laura

Louise said...

EEEKK and that is your official welcome to South America....yikers!
HUGS
Hope you can keep away the bugs ;)

Kellan said...

That's a BIG bug - eeeeek! WE have big bugs here in Texas too - I hate the Texas roaches - HUGE!

Take care, Kathy!

Kellan

Roo said...

eeep! wow. amazing.
how about snakes? do you see lots of those? i think i might be ok with nearly anything....except snakes. those i cannot stand.

just thinking about them makes me crazy.

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh. I don't do bugs well. Good job.
And, we need some pics of you and Carl :) Rachel

Andrea said...

Okay -- YUCK!! I would be running far, far away from it...not getting up close for a picture (although thank goodness for zoom lenses, hey?)