Thursday, June 4, 2009

What are you Asking!?

I had an interesting conversation with Joel today. It was on our way home from school, and as we passed the cancha, we noticed a large crowd of Colony Mennonites waiting by the casa de la cancha. Kezia was curious what they were doing there, and I explained that there were government people here from Mexico to help some of them get their passports so they could go and visit their family in Mexico.

It was quiet for a moment, and it seemed Kezia´s question was answered.

Then Joel pipes up, "Why are those Mennonites white?"

I thought for a second, trying to figure out what he was asking. I asked him, "What are you wondering?", and he asked the same question again.

So I explained to him that Mennonites come in all different colours. Some of us are brown, others are white, some are dark brown (like Sitha!, Kezia chimes in), some are from Asia...we live all over the world.

Joel says, "Well, I knew that Mennonites were brown like me and you and Sitha and Zulma, but...."

And I got to thinking, this is almost exactly opposite of what is the regular thinking, which is that only whites with a germanic background could truly be called Mennonite. But I figured I should quickly give him an Anabaptist history lesson if he is confused. I ramble on about Menno Simons and the martyrs in Europe and the migration to the States and Canada, about movement from Mexico to Ontario and Bolivia to Alberta. On and on and on I go as we walk up the sidewalk. Then I start into the Mennonite theology of peacemaking and the large Mennonite churches in Africa and Indonesia and how now Mennonite World Conference needs to have their sessions translated into various languages and how diverse Mennonites are now because it´s not just a cultural group but a group of faith believers....

Joel is zoning out now and Kezia is thinking about what kind of tights she will wear.

As we get up to the door, Joel asks again, "But why are those Mennonites white?". I´m thinking, I just answered that! But he said no, "Why are they white?" "You mean, why is their skin that colour, like other white people?", I ask. "Yes, that´s what I asked".

Oh. Oops. Okay.....

So I go into a quick genetics lesson about dominant and recessive genes and melanin in those people who live in hotter climates and how people who live where the sun isn´t that strong have less pigment.

"And people are white because...?", Joel asks impatiently

Sigh, I think I over did it in the answer department.

"Because God made them that way. He makes us all different colours so we can be interesting and yet all be in His image".

"Oh, that´s neat to know. Thanks Mom".

5 comments:

andrea said...

kids are truly amazing and they just want to know the reason..oh, the questions. how precious your son is and kezia too!

Anonymous said...

great write up (barb, not Ian as it may say...)

Roo said...

great post. !!!

TJ said...

LOL - I love it! I have also answered some very interesting Mennonite / skin colour questions too... I loved our trip to the Mennonite Heritage Village with Jermaine!

Jenna said...

my dad says always ask why they are asking...like when I asked what sex was...all I wanted to know was if i was male or female..the convo was a little longer than i thought...and I ended up with a whole lotta stuff i didn't want to know!