Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Friends that Bless

I'm not sure if I have raved about the friends that we have here, but today my heart is so full, I can't help but gush over one particular couple.

Maybe I'm feeling especially blessed because we just had yet another wonderful evening with Ramiro and Yuneth.

Ramiro used to work with the same organization as us, but we didn't get to know him very well.  Yuneth is a director of a partner organization, and even though she comes for meetings often to our office, I don't think that was the place where we clicked.  We also go to church with them, I play on the music team with them.  Our lives had many places of intersection.

I can't say for sure, but I think we clicked because one day they invited us for lunch and as we sat on the patio visiting, we realized that we had very similar children and that we had very similar parenting experiences.  And from there we talked about our experiences as parents, our own childhood, our testimony....we stayed there for 4 hours talking about everything and anything.

I really had to work to keep up language wise because you know how rapidly I speak in English?  Well, Yuneth speaks like that in Spanish.  I love it! even if I can't catch every word.

Then a short while after that great lunch at their house, we decided that instead of always saying, "Hey, we should get together sometime," because sometime never happens, we planned that every other week we would get together.

We would go over to their place, they would come to our place, we'd go to a park or out for ice cream, sometimes it would be with the kids, sometimes not.

And that's how it's been for a while.

I tell you, they have been such a blessing.  Despite the language barrier (at times it's small and other times it's a bit medium size) there is something between us where we click.  We connect as couples and we gals and our guys click too.  Plus the kids play really well together, even if there is a ton of drama between them all.  Where do you find that type of great combination in friends?

They have been really open with us and we have been with them.  We talk about our fears and our joys, things that make us really angry, politics, theology, and cooking to name a few.  We laugh our heads off and we cry together.  And tonight we talked about doing a family trip together which makes me just too excited for words.

I'm praying that it can become a reality.  It would be the most hectic and fun and awesome thing we could do.  Four adults and 6 kids, 4 of whom are super high energy...the train ride might be the end of us all.  Well, at least we'd be happy.

So stayed tuned to see if we end up doing this crazy trip with our best friends.

5 comments:

andrea said...

i have tears of joy...that is an amazing blessing! enjoy these moments...how rare and how special! can't wait to hear all about it!...isn't it funny that you've known each other for a while...but it took one experience together to make open your eyes to a deeper friendship. maybe that doesn't make sense...it's too early in the morning. we have experienced this too...such a special time!

Arelis said...

How about 5 adults (me!) Also, what you talking about the kids being high energied? Yuneth alone is off the wall with energy and you added to that mix...I think that is explosive!

I miss you all so much and this entry really touched my heart. I love Yuneth and Ramiro so much. Yuneth was my second mom in Bolivia and she taught me how to love life in every possible way. She is the reason I didnt give up so many times and helped me process so much...

Love you all very much and I hope this trip can happen :)

Kathy said...

Arelis, we'd TOTALLY love you to come. We miss you too and we know how much Yuneth helped you on your journey here. Yeah, they are such a blessing to those around them.

Laura Thiessen said...

I want pictures, lady! ;)

Andrea said...

So special to have friends like that.

I was just thinking about you today, anticipating you FINALLY coming home and thinking how much you would love being back with all of your friends and family...but I guess you wouldn't be back with "ALL" of your friends, since you'll be leaving some behind...