Monday, March 26, 2012

An "Early" Celebration - Father's Day

A couple of weeks ago, Carl and I were having a conversation and suddenly he blurted out, "I know what I'm getting you for Mother's Day!".  So I asked him what he'd like for Father's Day, all the while growing this lovely idea in my head.  "Well, it would be kind of nice to have a golf lesson or something because it's been about 4 or 5 years since I've played regularly.  Gosh, I miss golf.....Anyways, then that way I can get good habits before I create poor ones.  But golf lessons in time for Father's Day (June) might be a bit late.  Life might be a little crazy.  So maybe...."  And that's when I tuned out because I had already made up my mind what I was planning to do.

On the 19th of March is Father's Day in Bolivia and I decided after that conversation that we would celebrate Carl on the Bolivian holiday instead of the Canadian.

So on the 18th when we came home from church Carl asked me, "Shall we take something out of the freezer for lunch?".  "Nope," I replied.  We took him inside and presented him with a card for golf lessons.  Kezia and Joel had been in on the idea with me, but we didn't tell Asha because she can only hold a secret for 17 seconds.  The kids were beaming because Carl had no idea.  He was so blown away that he started to cry and then we knew it was an awesome surprise.

After that, we piled into the van and drove to the city for an amazing lunch.  We ate and ate and ate and then went and did a bit of shopping and browsing just for fun.

Oh, I was just so pleased with ourselves that we could celebrate Carl and surprise him at the same time.  He is just an amazing Dad and with all the craziness this year, he has been a shining example of faith, patience, and trust.  Our kids have a wonderful example and role model.  We love you Carl!!



1 comment:

Andrea said...

Aw, what a great surprise! And can I just say what a FANTASTIC picture that is!! I love it!!

ps: Before April is done, you and I *WILL* have our DQ date - that's my goal. :) Perhaps after Easter?