Friday, March 16, 2012

Whew! It's Friday

I have felt pretty tired these days, but not a run-down kind of tired that leaves me cranky, but the tired where you've done a lot of worthwhile things and can put up your sore legs at the end of the day and be proud.  Okay, so what's been on our agenda....

At church they had a Ladies Day where you could bring whatever you wanted to do and be with other women.  It wasn't work at all, but a much needed respite from all the busy lately.  I brought my quilting stuff and because another gal loaned me her cutter and mat, I cut about 10 metres of fabric in the day without having a wrecked hand at the end.  We had a very tasty meal and I had such a meaningful conversation with another lady about her adoption story.  Later, I ended up getting invited to another gal's house to play games that evening.  I was just tickled.  We played Majong with a real set from China.  Now that was a fun time.  Note to self:  After learning German, must learn Chinese.

My marks are done and I think I got everything in those envelopes.  Such a bog of paperwork but there's something satisfying in stuffing those pretty envelopes.  And I must say, figuring out the spreadsheet to calculate the rows and rows and rows and rows of numbers for my marks was a bit of challenge, but I'm glad I did it.  Long gone are the days of sitting there with a calculator and scribbles of columns of numbers.  And then the swears under your breath when you realized you punched in the wrong number and have to start again.

It was Pi day on Wednesday (get it, 3rd month, 14th day) so a last minute idea came to me to bake 45 little apple pie tarts to take to my students since we have been calculating the surface area of circles.  Joel, Kezia, and Asha thought it was just the coolest thing, and you should have seen the look on the faces of the kids at school.  Thirteen isn't too old for treats (or even stickers on tests) so it was worth the crazy baking.

The snow is gone and what is in its place is mud and puddles and more mud.  On Wednesday we went for a walk to pick up Kezia from her friends' house and 10 minutes of unsupervised play made for 5 out of the 6 kids covered in mud.  Sigh....the whir of the washing machine will be forever the sound around here for the next while.

And now poor lil' Elena has a nasty cold. Rush, rush to get tests marked while she slept in.  Quick! Quick! squeeze in another story with Asha.  Go, go, go as fast as we can to the Dr.'s office to have E checked out.  Race, race, race to the sitter's house and Zoom! off to school to supervise my class at the curling rink.  Then zip! zip! back to school to have one last class before the end of the day.  Speed out of there to pick up the little girls and then CRASH because we're home......

And since it's Friday and Joel and Kezia's report cards were glowing, we leisurely walked to 7-11 and waited in line to get our slurpees and slowly walked home and sat on the step for as long as we wanted.  Oh, blessed Friday, I'm so glad you are here.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hope you had a calming weekend. Time to recoup and for everyone to heal and feel better too. Sending lots of love.

Laura Thiessen said...

and with weather to make the slurpee jaunt truly enjoyable!! So glad you got to crash in the warm sunshine...we did too. :)