Friday, October 12, 2012

An Opinion of Being Forty

An excerpt from The Full Cupboard of Life by Alexander McCall Smith that made me throw my head back and laugh outrageously loud.  I love his books!  Since I read the paragraph repeatedly, I cackled louder and louder each time, so I'm sure it got to be pretty annoying.

Well, this is for you.

"To Mr. Handsome," he exclaimed.  "That letter must be for me!".  Mma Makutsi snorted.  "You are not the only man around here.  There are two others, you know.  Mr. J.L.B Matekoni and that friend of yours, that one with the oil on his hair.  It could be for either of them."

The apprentice started at her uncomprehendingly.  "But Mr. J.L.B Matekoni is at least forty," he said.  "How can a man of forty be called Mr. Handsome?"

"Forty is not the end," said Mma Makutsi.  "People who are forty can look very good."  

"To other people who are forty maybe," said the apprentice, "but not to the general public."


1 comment:

Michelle said...

I LOVE it! I need to finish that series; I left off in about book 6. "Not to the general public." Classic!