A few weeks ago I came to the realization that Lil' E's hair was getting a bit out of control. The night of Kezia's birthday supper Carl mumbled to me, "I tried my best with her hair but.....". And then we knew. The wispy, tangled, uneven do had to change.
I had a conversation with a new friend at my Spanish playgroup about cutting our daughter's hair. She told me that back in Argentina they would shave the baby's hair right at birth. I told her that in Bolivia usually they wait a bit and then do it at a few months, right down to the scalp. I got to thinking......is she too old to do that? Would she be upset years from now looking back at all the Christmas pictures with her buzz cut? More to ask, What had happened to my reasoning that I would actually consider shaving my almost 2 year old kids hair?!
When I mentioned taking the clippers to Elena's head, I was expecting a huge negative reaction from Carl. He just casually mentioned, "Oh, it would be a bit tricky since some of the longer strands are quite thin. Couldn't you just cut it all off with scissors?". Wow. We have changed.
So that's just what we did, went at it with the scissors, not cutting it all off. I gave her a roll of floss to unravel while I madly took the scissors to her head. I saved some of her locks for her baby book. It wasn't as short as I thought I would need to cut and now it looks pretty cute. And in all of it, I didn't even cry at Elena's first haircut.

No comments:
Post a Comment