Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Flashbacks

I've been doing some Christmas baking these last few weeks.  I baked one evening with my neighbour and did some on my own in preparation for a bake exchange.  Last year I didn't feel like baking anything because November was a hard month and it sort of spilled into December as well.

I was sauteing something in a pan, a teflon one, I thought to myself,
"I sure wish I had a cast iron pan instead.  I wonder if I have time in these next few days to head to  mercado Cumavi to pick one up.  I know exactly which street has those vendors....."
Uh, that's weird.  I'm a thousand miles away from Cumavi.  

I was madly rushing to get cookie pans out of the oven to get the next ones in because,
"I have to hurry and not have the oven on for so long.  I wonder if there is enough gas in the garafa for me to finish these batches of cookies...".
Oh wait, my stove uses electricity not gas to cook.  There is no gas tank beside my stove because I'm in Canada.  I'm not in Bolivia.  I haven't been in a long, long while.

It's like burping up nacho chip breath when you haven't had nachos for days.  There's been plenty of other food you've eaten since then and so you're left a little surprised wondering where that came from.

I thought I had digested from last year, but it's all still there.

1 comment:

Harder Schrock said...

Great, great metaphor, Kathy. I sometimes feel the same, though less strongly - maybe less like mexicamba nachos and more like freshly made cottage cheese.