Monday, March 4, 2013

Festival!

Though winter isn't my favourite season, I was excited about being able to go to Festival du Voyageur with my family.  The weather was balmy the day that we were able to go.  The kids were amazed at the ice sculptures and so was I.  I took a ton of pictures of them.  Sad to think that when the warmer weather comes they just melt away....

We enjoyed sledding down the ice slide.  Even Elena tried it with her scaredy cat mom and loved it.  Poor gal was devastated when we had to drag her away.  Thankfully there were other really cool activities and things for her to see so the tears didn't last long.  We toured our way through the cabins where the actors showed us furs, played music for us, and even forged a tool in the fire.  Later on we ate some pretty delicious food while listening to French Canadian music.  Afterwards we just had to make maple syrup candy on the snow.  Someone asked us if we were going to let the little one eat ALL that candy off the stick.  Uh, maybe we should have rethought that....ach, it was tasty and it was the weekend!

If I could spend all of winter doing this, I think it wouldn't be such a hardship.











3 comments:

Laura Thiessen said...

lovely! I have never been - can you believe that?! I've been skating on the river in January, though, so that makes me a true manitoban, doesn't it? ;) Looks like so much fun!

Kelly said...

I've never been either...I can claim that I've only lived here a mere 12 years. But Ken's born and raised and he's never been either! Maybe next year...looks tres bon! :)

Michelle said...

Makes me want to visit Canada in the winter... almost... ;)