No breakfast in bed for me on Mother's Day. I think I've taken a pretty laid back approach to the day because in Bolivia it was at the end of May and 1) my internal celebratory trigger hasn't been set off yet 2) May is all about celebrations for me that just meld into one glob of parties and 3) I feel it's more important to be honoured and honour throughout the year so I don't really worry about having that special day out of the year.
It's also not necessarily a happy day for every woman. It also doesn't include every mother in a family. So there's you, then your mom, then your mother in law and maybe even a step-mom. Then if you are blessed to have grandmas, they also deserve honour. Sorry, but being the youngest on the matriarchal totem pole means it will be years before you might get the pomp and circumstance society has hyped you up to feel like you deserve. So I ditch the expectations for the one glorious day, dole out love and affection to the mothers that may not be around forever and am glad to know my husband and children honour me in the little things throughout the year.
Okay, I'm totally off topic. This post has nothing to do with my view on Mother's Day and more about what I did on Mother's Day. I guess I got off topic because I talked to a number of mothers who felt ripped that a provincial gymnastics competition would be scheduled on Mother's Day. I felt a bit for them but really inside I didn't get all bothered about it. Just my change in perspective over the years.
I spent the morning getting 4 kids ready for church and preparing a gymnast for her last competition of the year. I almost didn't have enough time to brush my teeth or drink my coffee. We sat through church and then Carl took the other three to Sunday School while I headed off to the gym with Kezia. She was excited and I was too. I love watching her and marvel at how cool and collected she is under pressure.
Not going to lie, it wasn't her best competition. She fell off the beam twice and was mad at herself afterwards. And then she did this weird fall off the bars that she's never done before. With those three she went from being 2nd overall to 14th overall. No trophy for her but she did place 3rd on the vault and did get a medal, for which she was thrilled. Vault is hard for a flexi girl like her. That back always threatens to bend in half (perfect for floor but awful for straight and solid vault) and so she needs to be extra tight to do what most other girls can just do.
Well, it was a learning experience for her. She knows what she has to work on and is determined to get back her kip, stop falling off the beam and keep her vault in check. I had taco in a bag from the canteen for my Mother's Day lunch and didn't think it was that bad at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment