Sunday, November 9, 2014

The day of ridiculous costumes and candy overwhelm me

Ugh. I was glad that I wasn't working when this week came upon on us. The frantic hollering about costumes and of course it had to be Spirit week for two of our kids at school = more costumes to gather up. I was determined not to buy a whole bunch of things because seriously, for some of our kids this day is the only day they will dress up. I'm not spending $30 on a one-day outfit. I managed to find a great bargain for Throw back Thursday; a gaudy 70's outfit and a very cute 20's outfit.

Well, it worked out pretty well. No theme like last year, but some pretty stellar costumes. A pumpkin that was free, a Lalaloopsy doll which meant a purchase of a fabulous pink wig and some sewing alterations to a dress we already had. Cruela de Vil, which required me to hone my sewing skills, for which I was very proud. And lastly a Star Wars Storm Trooper. Cheap costume and a borrowed helmet.

This year the older two went with friends and their parents, which gave me some heart palpitations. How is that they are old enough for this?! I trekked around the block with the younger two and met a lovely gal from a few blocks away.

And then home we went with bags and bags of candy. It has been an awful week for me as I pass buckets of candy, dipping in my hands casually to get a small packet of chocolate, over and over and over again......





1 comment:

Noella said...

Oh yes, the candy. Today I let them each pack a bag for Christmas vacation and threw all the rest into one bag that is put far away from the regular spots. Next year we will try something different than trick or treating because we will probably still have candy left over from THIS year!
Cute costumes too! Good work on the sewing!