Sunday, February 15, 2009

Lovely Lovey Day


Yesterday was Valentine's Day and it sort of went by in a whisper. This week has been busy and on Friday, I panicked a bit because I realized I hadn't sent Valentine's cards for the kids at school. But do they do that here? Juana told me that in September there is a bigger holiday and that's when they exchange cards. Whew!

On Friday night, we decided to go out for supper as a family, because it had been such a busy week and we wanted to go on a family date. We chose a restaurant that was close by and nice. As we were walking, I was holding Asha, but then she insisted on being let down. Okay.....how long will this last on the uneven sidewalks? Well, that crazy girl jogged for about 2 blocks, minus the intersections, to the restaurant. It was the very first time that we've gone out as a family where all three kids have been walking. Our arms were free!

The next morning, we all slept in, which was just heavenly. We had a large late breakfast and then exchanged some candies. We gave each child a package of candy, and Carl and I had bought each other some chocolates. Nothing big, but sweet and thoughtful!

We got out of our pajamas and called a taxi to go to the market. Nueva Feria was packed, as usual on a Saturday, but we didn't mind. Asha even walked and weaved through the crowds. It was fun to wander, to not have the pressure of being back at a certain time. I found some jeans and capris for Kezia for school, which she was just thrilled with. We bought some sweats for gym class and I even managed to find myself a pair of jeans. I really can't seem to find jeans anywhere that fit properly (can I hear an amen from all those that have the same problem?!), and the sizes here are different. The lady asked me what size I was, and I told her I don't know (and "thanks" to being sick, I lost a bit more weight, so I really didn't even know) so I just lifted up my shirt, turned around, she nodded and waved me into the curtain. The curtain is about 2 feet by 3 feet of space on the floor in the little stall of her shop. I tried on a few pairs, and kept bumping bums with the lady on the other side of the curtain, who also was trying on jeans. Nothing really fit....sigh. Well, why should I have any luck here? I never do back home.

But I managed to find another place and found a great pair of jeans. I'm excited to add another pair of pants to my one pair of pants that I have now. I mean, it's too hot to wear jeans now, but if it's a rainy day or in the fall, like in March or April, I may need them.

So we picked up some toilet paper on the way out, I looked at shoes, and then headed out to flag a taxi. It was fun just hanging out together as a family. We got home around 2 o'clock and rested a bit. We skyped with Carl's parents, Jenny, and Judy too in the late afternoon. That was special. I made lazy lasagne for supper and before we knew it, it was time for baths and bed.

Carl and I didn't exchange cards or anything and he didn't buy me flowers, but I think this was a perfect day. And we even curled up in front of the computer and watch a few episodes of The Office while munching on our treats to round out the great day.

5 comments:

andrea said...

i love those days! sounds like the perfect day to me! and you found jeans! that's so fun...i bought jeans yesterday too! somehow, shopping for jeans is a big event! lol!
the best part of v-day anyway is just knowing you are so loved! i love cozy tv times and just laughing together! perfect eve you shared!

Roo said...

lovely lovey day INDEED. :)

Louise said...

That sounds like a lovely day!!
I love those days :)
I love the Office too ;)...that's what she said...LOL

Friesen Family of Four said...

Wow that sounds dreamy! I love the Saturday's when we can get out and do something together with the kids and then at bedtime we get to eat some random treats and watch the computer episodes of whatever!
I love the visual of you bumping into someone else on the other side of the curtain - I can hear you apologize and giggle!!!
Sounds like your hubby showed you love... that's better than flowers any day!!

Laura Thiessen said...

oh I just hate shopping for jeans. Especially by myself. At least if there's somebody there to encourage you to keep on trying different pants on you can feel encouraged. Man, nothing ever fits me right either. And I hate that most styles show my butt crack when I lean over, what's with that? I thought that's what we were trying to prevent by wearing pants in the first place!