Joel and Kezia's school does a family day instead of Mother's and Father's Day. I think it's very nice that they recognize some kids don't have a mom or dad, or that their family is a bit different. So we enjoyed that activity at the school the week before last.
This year, we celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary and went out on a double date with Garry and Gwen. First we went to the cinema and ate ice cream in the food court. Then we headed to watch Date Night, which was hilarious. And of course a movie isn't a movie without a huge tub of popcorn. Ugh, I was so full. But then after the movie, we headed down to the busy strip, watched a car rally then headed for supper at 10:30 p.m. It was a full and fun evening.
This year, maybe I'm getting less sentimental, but I didn't have that need to have a big thing planned at home or to have amazing over-the-top gifts. I did have a lovely breakfast in bed, and got some bath stuff from the kids. Joel gave me a handmade book that was all about the love story between me and him. It started with, "You loved me already when I was curled up in your stomach". Kezia made a CD with her class, singing songs about their mom. And Carl and I had a great double date with Garry and Gwen. There weren't any cards (gasp!), there wasn't a photoshoot (gasp!) and instead of something big and grandiose, it was a simple two days. Carl had gotten me flowers the week before, just because, and I had made a nice meal for him a few days beforehand, so it didn't feel like anything was lacking.
It's good to celebrate, don't get me wrong, but this year was less about crazy expectations on being honored on "the day" and just about enjoying. I liked that better.
4 comments:
I totally like the family day idea...i grew up always hating mother's day (mom was in MB and i was Ont.) especially at church. so glad it was a good thing for you all!
beautiful. your family. you. i'm glad it was just right.
Love your thoughts on celebrating. Just spending time together is all we need!!
i wish i was married to kathy....
um, did I say that out loud?
Post a Comment