For the longest time he has expressed interest in learning to play the drums. There is a youth at church that had offered lessons, but Joel was too shy. Plus, that would mean either 1) we would make a trip to the church 3 times a week for him to practice, or 2) we would have a drum set at home.
Well, we just left it and didn't push. Then a few weeks ago, Joel asked if he could learn how to play piano. I jumped at his enthusiastic request, called a music school and two days later took him for his first piano lesson. Joel's eyes were wide as saucers when he saw that he could play on a real piano, "like the ones in Canada, Mom!". His teacher's name is Denise and he goes for a 45 minute lesson every Tuesday. He really enjoys it and is learning solfège plus theory along with his practical work.
The same week after parent teacher interviews, Joel was invited to come play basketball at school. The intramural team is for grade 3 and up, but Joel was able to go. He's just as tall as some of those the kids in grade 4! At first, he was a bit worried that he wouldn't be able to learn the skills, but after a while, he came home proud as punch that he could dribble with either hand. When I came to watch him, he felt really good about himself. He goes two afternoons a week and the best part is that it's free! Who would have thought that here in South America he would learn basketball.
p.s. this past weekend, Joel wrote and illustrated a book called, "The River of Terror" about a very strange fishing trip. I laughed my head off, so I'll post it some time for you all to enjoy.
2 comments:
He looks so tall in this photo. And so relaxed with that ball under his arm. Like it belongs there. It's really great to find some hobbies so early in life. I always wished I'd liked sports. Being part of a team is a very good experience!
I thought I left a comment a while ago, but I guess there was a glitch. That's awesome he's excited to play piano! And he does look nice and tall for bball. And I look forward to some pages from the "River of Terror."
Post a Comment