Monday, December 20, 2010

35 Weeks and Stuck at Home

Last week, I went to the Dra. for a routine visit on my 35th week. My other Dra. and friend (who is studying to be a midwife) was also there. We 4 were all in a pretty jovial mood, even though two of us had had a pretty rough day.

So Dra. Jenny takes my blood pressure. Everything's fine.
And then checks my heart. Good.
Then weighs me. Good, a little gain.
Then lays me down to check the heartbeat of the baby. Steady and strong.

As she is checking the position of the baby, it becomes obvious that she is head down. Yup, good sign. But her head is waaayyy down and she's in perfect position to be born. The other two check and all agree it's pretty low for 35 weeks. Totally engaged, way ahead of schedule.

!!

Wasn't I just saying that Heppner babies come late? But then I did mention to Dra. Jenny that I was having dreams about giving birth early and running to the hospital. Then when she was born and the nurses asked us for the outfit (you provide the clothes), we had nothing. And in my dream, Carl ran to the bathroom and got some paper towel to wrap her in.

I thought the dream was slightly amusing. My Dra. didn't; she sees these things as signs. She told me that I should go home, make sure I have something put together in a bag and not walk around or do stairs. "Let's see if we can make it beyond 37 weeks. Things get complicated if she comes before that".

Can't really wrap my mind around that though. On one hand, I feel slightly jolted from my plans for the next 5 weeks. But more, I'm concerned that she's not going to be healthy or okay. If I go into labour too soon, I have to go the other hospital and who knows what will happen there; crazy unknown.

It's not like I'm on complete bed rest, but I probably won't be traipsing around the market Christmas shopping. I'll be at home, catching up on Friends episodes and all the books that I've been hoping to read. I'll send Carl out for fabric so I can sew, lists of Christmas gifts to buy, all while being home with three kids. Thankfully, they are super helpful children. God has blessed us with helping hands, that's for sure.

Sigh.....

I think I need to keep myself busy so that I'm not constantly thinking if my uterus is contracting. I'm praying a lot, and I talk to my baby and ask her not to come too soon. It's safer and better to stay inside.

7 comments:

andrea said...

I will be praying with you! It's so hard to stay at the best of times..but when babies are coming soon, it just takes time to prep and still being a mom to 3 others!
thanks for keeping us posted. we will pray!
love you!

Michelle said...

Wow! So you could have a 2010 baby! I'll be praying that she stays put until the new year at least. You guys are going to have a lot of holiday-time birthdays in your house!

Rachel said...

Too bad we don't live closer b/c we could hang out together on bedrest! Will be thinking of you and wishing for little girl to stay put a while longer. Did they say anything about if you were effaced or dialated at all? Sending much love and wishing you some peace of mind.

Andrea said...

praying for another few weeks of pregnancy! and a healthy delivery when the time comes. xoxo

Sandi said...

Wow! What a surprise! I hope you have lots of good books on your "To Read" list. It's kind of exciting to think that we could "meet" your little one soon - but I do hope she waits a couple more weeks, at least.

Kristal said...

We'll be praying that all goes well, no matter when or how. Jack was more than 4 weeks early, and he got huge really fast! May God help you guys get ready for baby whenever she decides she's ready to meet you!
Blessings!

Blanca said...

You know what Kathy, just trust the Lord and relax. He is taking care of you and the baby. I am certain of that.

We love you all!!
Los extranamos!!!! Un abrazo!!!
Blanca