Monday, September 19, 2011

The Start of the Activities

This week our kids started their fall activities.  Carl and I debated whether or not to enrol in extra curricular activities since the school day is much longer here.  Would they have the energy?  Would it be too taxing on them, all this new?

Well, we decided it would be a positive thing, since all three were asking when gymnastics/music/swimming started.  So we took their enthusiasm as a go ahead and enrolled them.  It's a bit of a juggling act because everything is on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but we do it because they love it.

Joel is in Music for Young Children (MYC) and LOVES it.  He was thrilled there were 3 other 8 year old boys who play soccer.  Not sure what that had to do with the class, but it has everything to do with his excitement about going every week.  Carl goes with him and it seems like it will be a good time for them together.  Not only does Joel learn keyboard, but theory, rhythm, and vocal.  We think the variety is such a good fit for him.  Because it was a bit sad hearing the same three songs from his last piano lesson in Bolivia being played over and over and over and over and over all summer long.

From the day after we got off the airplane, Kezia wanted to know where the nearest gymnastics club was.  It wasn't a question if we would put Kezia back into gymnastics, but how.  It's a little more pricey on this side of the globe.  With a few sports grants, it may be pretty affordable, for which we are thankful.  We had her assessed at a local club to see if they had something for her and she was placed in a group.  On her first day, she was just grinning from ear to ear, until we got into the building.  She looked around a bit nervously, sat pretty close and was quite quiet.  As it was getting near for her to start her class, she looked at me with teary big eyes, "How will I know which group I'm in?  They aren't calling us by group?".  Oh, it was hard because I knew that as we sat there waiting, she was scoping things out, probably realizing it was a whole lot different than Club 7 in Bolivia.  Poor thing....  But once she was picked up after practice, she told us with smile all over her face that she loved it and can't wait for the next class.

Asha had her very first swimming lesson, ever.  And boy was she thrilled.  I only told her the morning of or else she wouldn't have slept the night before.  She got her stuff ready and was waiting by the van before I even could find my shoes.  It was a little tricky with Elena and all the gear to maneuver through the changing rooms, into the showers (without getting soaked by the showers), and getting lil' Asha on to the deck.  But we did it and she had such a lovely time.  No fear of water, that's for sure.  

As Elena and I were sitting on the side watching Asha, I noticed that the baby and mom class was being held at the same time.  I had briefly thought about enrolling Elena too so that the three of us would be in the water at the same time.  But for another bunch of money I reasoned it would make more sense to have another round of lessons for Asha.  But as I saw all those mommies splashing around with their babies, I kind of wished that I had signed up.  Oh, it would have been so fun to sing corny songs and bob around the pool for 30 minutes with my baby.  When I was getting Asha ready and trying to change Elena's diaper and not get anything wet and keep the stroller from tipping over, I was brought back to reality, "This would be a nightmare if I too was soaking wet and trying to find my clothes in the bag with a wriggling baby and a preschooler.  Whew, so glad it's just Asha!".  And when I talked to the passing moms with their one baby I told myself, That's what they do, but it all changes when you have a few of them.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

Your kids make me smile. I LOVE their enthusiasm!