Sunday, April 29, 2012

Key Day


I had been thinking about the day for a while but didn't actually start putting things back into bins like I thought I would.  We're hard-core movers so we pack in Rubbermaid bins, not boxes anymore.   I thought I would be sorting and the moment we could get the keys moving stuff over to our new home.  Maybe because I was tired, or maybe because it felt a bit surreal.  Even now it doesn't quite feel real.  Like this isn't reality and it'll end before it even gets started.

So after our marvellous weekend retreat, Sunday came and that was The Day.  We had bought an antique table and chairs from a wonderful old widowed woman a few weeks back and needed to go and pick them up.  She was gracious enough to let us keep the table and chairs at her house until we had possession of our new place, since was only moving out of her house the next day.  May this kind soul be blessed.


Carl's brother had a truck and so in the morning they met to get the table and chairs.  Derek and Laura picked up baked goods for second breakfast, then off we went to the house, keys in hand.  I wasn't sure, would I cry?  Would I have a goofy grin on my face?  Would it seem like we were marching into someone else's house? I guess I did have a goofy grin on my face....

When we walked inside, there was a card and gifts on the mantel.  At first I was a bit confused at who had left them, but as I looked at the card, I recognized a set of names I only would know from paper work.  The previous owners had left a card saying, Welcome Home, and a few treats for the kids alongside a plant.  It's not very often I experience such beautiful kindness from strangers and that day I received two, one from the lady and her table and now this couple who sold us the house.  Amazing.....

The kids were so elated in the house, it was wild.  They ran from room to room, flopping on the floor, hugging the carpet, jumping into the closets, gazing out the windows, amazed at all the light!  *Basement babies, I know*  We sat at our new table and had goodies and coffee and hot chocolate with Nelson, Derek and Laura and our gaggle of kids.  Our first guest in our home.  We sang the doxology in the living room and then Laura prayed for us; that our new home would truly be home, that we would feel settled and connected in our community and for us to be a blessing to those around us.  *Thanks to Laura for these amazing pictures, by the way*

I'm at a bit of a loss to describe the feelings that I have because I'm excited to move forward and apprehensive for yet another change.  Delighted about the space, worried about the bills.  Longing for community and roots, scared to get too comfortable.  "I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future".




2 comments:

Michelle said...

I am SO SO excited for you! I almost cried just reading the post. Please send interior shots (or maybe a video tour) soon! Congratulations!

Rachel said...

(we also move in rubbermaids) It is beautiful Kathy! And I'm so glad you had blessings on your moving day, and such good friends to share it with. Congratulations :)