We left Bolivia a year ago today. It was after quite the passport drama but we were amazed at God's hand in providing 5 plane tickets for us only a few short days after we had to postpone.
It had turned cold and rainy our last few days. Friends came over in jackets and scarves the evening before. Some had colds from the damp. I had gotten rid of Elena's snowsuit and kind of regretted it.
We got up early that morning. Lizette had brought banana muffins. The kids were still really sleepy and didn't want to leave. We layered up and lingered in the kitchen. The time came to go and we did a bit of a walk-about in the yard. The kids wanted to say goodbye to the dogs and Asha gave them half of her muffin as a treat. She cried because we couldn't find Wilbur the cat to say goodbye. He probably was still hiding and sleeping somewhere.
Holly waved from the guesthouse. We loaded up in the Prado and the Runner. Elena was with Lizette while I piled in with Asha on my lap. It was quiet as Wilmar backed up. Roberto opened the gate and Carl said, "This is the last time we'll do this for a long, long time,". We got teary eyed.
We drove through the city and I drank in the sights. The arrival at the airport was quicker than I expected and I wondered about all my friends that were still sleeping in their beds. I thought of all the places I just saw that I wouldn't be able to see again. Hannah and the boys met us at the airport to say goodbye and were joined shortly after by Yuneth and Ramiro.
We got all 11 suitcases tagged and taken along the conveyor belt. We went up the escalator with everyone and lingered by the televisions. The kids of course were glued to the t.v's. Small talk. Chatting. Not trying to get too personal or say something touching lest someone start the floodgates. We were given small gifts as tokens of love. We shed our warm winter clothes to leave behind because in Miami it would be 25 degrees warmer. But then Carl looked at his watch and nodded and we knew that we had to go through customs.
Then the tears started. The hugs and the last words of friendship uttered in person. It was such an awful feeling that I just wanted to run away from there, back down the escalator. As we entered into the line my stomach was churning and my head was pounding. I didn't want to look back. But I did and saw Yuneth and ran for one more hug.
Elena started to cry. Then Joel and Kezia and Asha started weeping. Carl had been for a while. We walked around the corner, snuck one more look and then we were passed the line.
It was almost easier then. The goodbyes were over. There was nothing to do but look forward and anticipate the reunions on the other side of the globe.
Tomorrow I can't say, "A year ago we were still in Bolivia,". We will have been here a year and what a year it's been. Crazy twists and turns and unexpected amazing events. God has been faithful and continues to lead us forward.
2 comments:
hmmm...this is making me think...dreading a bit. ;)
Happy to have you here, Kathy. Just sad we never got to see you at home in bolivia. I would have liked to share some memories of that place nd time with you.
Post a Comment