This Christmas, Carl and I decided that part of our gift to the kids would be an experience. So when a friend raved about a live children's show at the theatre, we decided to purchase the tickets. When the kids opened their stockings, they were so excited about going.
On the day of, I decided to add to the adventure and take the three kids on local transit. Kezia's eyes were wide with glee that we'd actually be riding on a bus. I realized that for them it was a new venture and they had no clue what to do. I showed them where to put the ticket and where to sit. They had many questions, "How does the driver make change?" "He doesn't do that here,". "How does he know when you want to stop?" "You pull the yellow cord". "Wow. That seems pretty cool, but wouldn't it be funny just to yell out 'Pare!' anyways?". "Yeah, that would be kind of hilarious....".
Once we got to the theatre, we found our seats no problem. After a lovely visit with a friend we hadn't seen in ages, the show was about to begin. It was a 3 person play acting out 5 of Robert Munsch's stories. It was pretty hilarious and the kids loved it.
So often we wonder what to give our kids as a gift. What more can a kid need? Over the last few years we've realized that experiences are something they will never have to pack up, give away, or leave behind like a toy or piece of clothing. And it really blesses the giver to be able to experience it along with them.
2 comments:
fabulous experiences!!! local transit and a show...perfect day! :)
Love the idea of giving experiences instead of things. We did it this year for Ben's family and I think we'll be doing more of it in the future. I read in an article once that it is better for our happiness to spend money on experiences rather than things. You get to look forward to the experience, have the experience, and then reminisce and look at pictures afterwards. How great is that?!
Post a Comment