Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Christmas Season

It was a good one.  I must say that I quite enjoyed preparing for Christmas this year.  Last year I didn't feel like taking part in any of it, life and I were having a rough time.  But this year, even though I wouldn't say that I was oozing with glee and excitement, I put my mind towards engaging into advent and the Christmas season.

We did a great reading as a family and of course the highlight for the kids was having some Halloween candy afterwards.  Do we not eat enough candy in this house or are the treat fairies just too good to us?  The daily readings and prayers helped focus me and reminded me of what is really important and that translated into how I shopped and spent my December.

Since my parents went to Calgary for Christmas to see my grandmother, Carl and I and the kids had a slow holiday.  It was quite nice.  I remember from years ago, dashing from family gathering to gathering with  wailing kid(s) in tow only to crash at home way too late, trying to shove in a load of laundry for the next day's party, hardly having time to enjoy that new book or even think of trying on that sweater from grandma.  This year reminded me of our past holidays in Bolivia.  Slow, with lots of good food and family time and smatterings of friends over.  It was good to have familiar faces at our table and new people that we hardly knew.  We spent the 24th with Wendell and Shana and the kids during the day and at a candle light service that Carl and I led in the evening.  Elena, in true form, kept wandering up to the piano while I played whispering loudly that she wanted milk.  After, we went home and had a traditional Bolivian meal, gave Elena her precious milk, and then opened our stockings.

The morning of the 25th, we exchanged our gifts.  This year we pulled tickets amongst ourselves which was a huge hit.  You should have seen the look of pride on Asha's face when Carl opened the gift she chose for him.  And Joel told me a number of times he was so happy I loved the sweater he bought me.  Definitely something we plan on turning into a family tradition.

We did enjoy Christmas gatherings with our families, just after the 25th.  Sadly, one of Carl's uncles passed away on Christmas day, so we also had a funeral to attend.  But at the celebration of his life they said, "He got the best present anyone could imagine...Christmas in heaven".  Yes, that was a comfort to think of.  The 27th was spent with the Heppner family, the 29th with the Plett and the 1st with the Buhler family.

I am thankful for this time to celebrate as a family, both as immediate and with extended members.  No school, no work, just time together.  Eating with friends and family, playing games and being blessed by each other's company.  Remembering how that lil' baby Jesus was born in that far off land and how today and now He is with us still.




















1 comment:

Michelle said...

Ticket to Ride! Yay! That's a version I've never seen. Perhaps I need a new one...