I've been wanting to go back to school for some time, but with being out of the country for a while, that was put on hold. Carl and I have always talked about taking turns and since he was the last student in the household, it was time for me to go back.
Then I had a conversation this past summer with a friend I went to university with years ago. She gave me some good advice and pointed out that all through my career as a teacher, it seemed I was often put into similar positions; positions that were involved with resource or transitional students. She encouraged me that in order to make myself more marketable and also to pursue what I seemed to be groomed for, I should enroll to complete a certificate specializing in Special Education. She didn't think I would take her up on her advice, but I did.
The class I'm taking, Promoting Positive Behaviour, is just once a week, but definitely a graduate level class. Lots of on-line discussions and post, lots of reading and a student behavioural and assessment plan. My other colleagues come from a variety of backgrounds and different stages in their teaching career, so I don't feel oddly unique in my situation. The plan is that each session I will take a course and though I have nine years to complete it, I want to be well on my way to complete it in the next few years. I may think I'm superwoman at times, but realistically I don't know if I can juggle going back to teaching, co-managing our busy family and trying to finish up courses. Something would suffer.
Anyways, I may not have as much time to blog or you may find me here more often as I procrastinate! Either way, it's going to be a good semester. One quote that our professor left us with that has me thinking and may get me to reflecting here is,
If you punish a child for being naughty, and reward him for being good, he will do right merely for the sake of the reward; and when he goes out into the world and finds that goodness is not always rewarded, nor wickedness always punished, he will grow into a man who only thinks about how he may get on in the world, and does right or wrong according as he finds either of advantage to himself.
- Immanuel Kant 1724-1804
1 comment:
I've been struggling with that quote exactly in my own experience raising children. I want them to know WHY we are encouraging certain behaviors, and I want him to WANT to behave well...congratulations on entering school! again. :) You ARE superwoman and you'll do great. You are going to be thinking great thinks!
Post a Comment