It was a bit of a turn around with Carl spending a week working at orientation and sending off workers, to the 4 day re-entry retreat where we welcome workers back. It's a huge shift of emotions and energy. The re-entry is a powerful time and we were privileged to be a part of that. I was brought back to our time, 2 years ago. Not only was it a gift to be able to lead the music (oh, I have missed that!), but Asha had the chance to be reunited with Mary Ona, her beloved caregiver from last time.
While at the retreat centre, it was a total mash-up of different cultural groups. Our re-entry group was small, maybe 35 people including 8 kids. Then there was the large Amish family staying as well, the ladies group from the Remnant Church of God, who all wore amazing hats, and the Ethiopian Evangelical church from Baltimore. Since there were no kids activities for our children included in our sessions, they were invited to the Ethiopian children's activities. Maybe it helped that everyone in their group thought I was Ethiopian! It was a great experience for our kids; 45+ minutes of exuberant worship singing in Amharic and then crazy activities with 30 kids until 10 o'clock at night. They were thrilled to be a part and I was so thankful for the church's hospitality to include our kids.
I came away two years ago at our re-entry retreat reeling and thinking that I was hopelessly but joyfully maladjusted. God has been so amazing and I can say that my hope has been renewed. But I'm still joyfully maladjusted....
No comments:
Post a Comment