Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Potty Training

It's the dreaded aspect of parenting for me. I feel like I am so incapable of teaching a child not to soil themselves and I have mess and trust issues. Sigh. Not a good combination! Well, since Elena was showing signs of readiness all summer and becoming more comfortable at daycare, we decided the third week of September to pull out the panties and the potty. She was very excited about using the potty and didn't baulk when we suggested she stop playing and go to the bathroom. We were making progress! and I wasn't so preoccupied.

And then Carl left for his trip.

She peed every single day at daycare and wept when I sat her on the toilet at home. I felt like an awful person and I had thought more than once about putting her back in diapers. But then I realized how unfair that would be to her and I just needed to relax and cuddle her and let her know she was doing a great job. After a few days, we got back on track and she was so proud of herself that she could go without even having to tell anyone (and in the process use about half a roll of toilet paper and leave the sink overflowing with soap, but hey, she's independent!). Over the last few weeks she's stayed dry at night, but then that means her waking up to yell out, "I have to pee, someone help me get to the toilet, the toilet, I need the toilet!!!" at 2 a.m.

Well, this mama's not going to complain. No life stage comes neat easy or clean. I'm so proud of her.

No comments: