Last month Kezia and I had the chance to do a cool project together; we starred as a Mother-Daughter team in a movie short. In the winter, I got an email from a local producer wondering if I would be interested in playing the part of the mother in his upcoming movie short. He had already cast the daughter, and when I showed up to audition, I think I saw a double take. I don't think he was expecting me to be brown because the girl he cast wasn't!
Fast forward a few months and he emailed again; asking me to show up with one of my daughters. I brought Asha first because I thought she would love the opportunity, but it turns out that he was looking for an older girl. So I came back with Kezia and he immediately cast us.
Filming is hard work! We were on set for three long days and there is so much you have to do over and over and over again. Lines with the camera at a wide angle, then close up, then a close up of each character and a safe shot of each. The hardest was being in the car with the windows rolled up, AC off in 30 degree weather with the camera man stuffed in the back of the vehicle for 19 takes. Ugh!!! But I was really proud of how Kezia stayed focused, memorized her lines, and followed directions from Paul the director. It was a unique experience to be able to act with your own daughter.
The movie short is called Sam and Thief and it's based on the Good Samaritan. It should be done in fall and then I'll post a link to the movie. But for now, here's a picture of us on set.

No comments:
Post a Comment