
This past weekend we celebrated Easter, a little different than last year or the year before.
Friday was a quiet day at home. Kezia had a fever so we didn't go to the evening church service. And it didn't even bother me that we didn't do the "usual" on Good Friday. What exactly is usual for us anymore?
Saturday we drove out to Chorovi, which is east of Santa Cruz. The Mennonite Evangelical Mission was celebrating their 40th anniversary this weekend, and Carl's parents were missionaries with the organization in the 70's and again in the 90's. So going out to Chorovi for Carl was heading back to a place where he used to live as a tot. As we drove up, everything seemed strangely familiar to Carl.
We had the chance to visit with people as they arrived. Many people remembered Carl and his parents and over and over again exclaimed, "You have really grown! I remember you when you were this high and could speak three languages!". I think 15 different people said that to him and Carl just smiled.
Of course the evening didn't go as scheduled, which stressed those in charge out a bit, but we took it all in stride. Well, almost all of us. Asha was cranky the moment we got there and was fussy and whiney and down right annoying almost the entire afternoon and evening. The only time she was remotely happy was when we were feeding her candy or when she was toddling around with Jake Thiessen.
We got home very late on Saturday night and it seemed Easter morning came very quickly. I was pleasantly surprised by a package of chocolates on the pillow next to me from my very sweet husband. We had pan de pascua for breakfast and Carl made cream cheese icing. YUM! Except for all the people, it was kind of like Easter breakfast at church.
That morning at church was a good morning. Carl said he was really moved by the message (I was in Sunday School with Asha) and later we partook in communion. A very meaningful morning to celebrate Christ's resurrection and to remember his coming again.
For lunch, we had invited Cesar and Lizette and Cesar and Clara over for lunch. We ate and ate and talked and laughed and ate more. It was a blessed time to spend with them. I was glad they could come and that we could share Easter with someone.
I think what made this weekend more meaningful and less of a disappointment was that I had made an effort to remove my pre-conceived notions on what Easter should be all about. I think last year, it was hard because it was our first time away from family, the first time without familiar cooking, first time without the service at our church. Of course, church was kind of lame last year....but that's besides the point. I realized that you can celebrate in very different ways the death and resurrection of Christ. That may mean a morning service, an evening service, or none at all. You can go with the big meal or have sandwiches at the beach.
It doesn't matter what you do, just how you do it. What mind frame you are in, how you process this season, how you absorb the amazing and awesome thing that Christ did for you.
Easter was different this year, and okay, I'll be honest, I missed the family gatherings, I missed those weird gelatin eggs, but we had a blessed time, a different time, a good time.
2 comments:
...and it sounds like a busy time. Is Asha missing a twin? wow, has this been a trying time caring for a newly 2 year old!...i can relate to what you are saying.
Yes, this time is great to be with familiar people and foods but I love Kathy, how you host and invite and celebrate with who you are with! Hugs!
I love your thoughts and new perspectives on how you do things differently than what you, and the rest of us, are all used to.
Sounds like "unusual" is the new 'usual' for you guys!!
Post a Comment