Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Double Decker Celebrations

Back to back days of celebrations in our house meant for lots of good food and family time.  On the 27th, I was honoured for Bolivian Mother's Day with breakfast in bed.  It was a cooler rainy day hence no pictures outside.  I'll have Carl take a picture of me and the kids and I'll post it.  After church Carl asked me if I would like to go for lunch and my first response was, "Well, we can't go there because it'll be super busy on account of it being Mother's Day," to which Carl replied, "It's only Mother's Day here for you sweetie".  Oh yes, we aren't in Bolivia.

Out for lunch we went and I didn't have to cut up any food or feed a small child or anything.  I ate my greasy unhealthy lunch and quite enjoyed it.  In the afternoon I had a heavenly nap, oh! it was blessed.   Seriously, extra sleep and a prepared meal are the two things that tickle me pink considering the stage of life I'm in right now.

The next day was the 28th and Carl and I celebrated our 13th wedding anniversary.  Carl came home for supper and because of the rain the soccer game was cancelled so we spent the rest of the evening together as a family.  Again, another moment to be thankful for.  Our babysitter arrived as the kids were getting into bed and Carl and I went out for dessert.  We couldn't remember the last time we had the chance to go on a date and I've missed that.  Our lives are pretty jam packed, especially now with soccer and the house.  Carl spends a few nights a week there, working etc. so our family time has been decreased dramatically.  It's a small sacrifice we're willing to make and hallelujah! only for a few more weeks.  We talked about how we were doing and our plans and our fears and what makes us happy and things we wish we could do over again.  When Carl said it had been a really good year for us, I immediately got teary-eyed.  I couldn't figure out why at first, but then as he talked I realized that the word "good" has definitely changed meaning for me.  And the irony of the old meaning and the new hit me more than I expected

Good doesn't mean alright and great and comfortable and warm like it did for me before.  Good, in Carl's context, meant healthy and positive.  Things that end up healthy and positive aren't always easy in the process.  It has been a stretching and at times difficult year.  We've cried a lot together and questioned and journeyed as a couple.  We've let things go and embraced new things.  We've mourned what we left behind and (try to) boldly face what's coming up.  So in that, yes, it's been a good year, not just a "good" year.  

Here's to doing marriage and motherhood for another year as God equips me.


1 comment:

Laura Thiessen said...

Happy Mother's Day and Happy Anniversary! That' awesome that you got two celebrations in one weekend! Delightful. And I gotta say, your family sure knows how to love you.