Friday, June 1, 2012

Upt-jah-mixt

I was at the grocery store a few days ago and walking in the produce aisle.  The oranges and bananas were right next to each other and as I reached for them both, my heart grew heavy.  Oranges remind me of here, bananas remind me of there.

For a brief moment I want to be that gal who grew up here and her parents still live here and she'll raise her kids here to marry someone from here and they'll start a family here so that gal from here will enjoy her grandkids one day here.....

But I wonder if she has that pang in her heart when she goes places, being reminded of how you could be here but be brought back to all those places there and there and there.


3 comments:

Iris said...

Oh yes, I have been in this 'upt-jah-mixt' place many times.

Michelle said...

I feel your pang. ;) I always wonder what my life would have been like if my parents had never made that choice to move us overseas. And I wonder if I'm getting too rooted where I am now--could I go if we were called?

Rachel said...

yes...in my own way. ((hugs))