Monday, January 28, 2013

California, Fresno to be specific

That's where I headed with Elena and Carl last week.  Oh, it was so wonderful to be able to tag along before Carl's work retreat.  As we landed (no snow) and then walked to pick up our rental car (no snow), I sat Elena on the green grass (no snow) and asked Carl, "We don't live here because.....?".

It was almost like we had remembered it, like we hadn't left. Yet it had been almost 5 years ago that we called Fresno home.  The routes and freeways were all familiar again.  It was surreal that we were actually back.  Although with only one child instead of all four.

That evening Kevin and Rhonda hosted a party with lots of familiar faces from our homegroup and church.  Over the next few days we hardly slept but went from home to home visiting our friends.  It was orange season, so guess what we ate most of the time?  Thankfully we were able to see most of the people we had hoped, but of course we didn't have enough time to spend with everyone.  Carl said even if we had been there 2 weeks, it wouldn't have been sufficient; they are all that amazing.

It was hard leaving (back to the snow) because something about being there tugged at my heart.  I had wondered if a trip like this would only add to this restless feeling that crops up every once in a while.  I wondered if being back in the central valley where Spanish is heard almost everywhere would make me homesick for Bolivia.  Or was it homesick for Fresno?  Or sick of snow and cold?  Sigh......

I must say even heading back to frigid temperatures and leaving my spouse behind for a few more days, was all worth seeing the older three kids.  I had missed them dearly!  Though grandparents had a nice time taking care of them, for which we are grateful for, it was good to back with them.  Already Joel has planned our road trip to California.















3 comments:

Laura Thiessen said...

looks like home. sigh.

Andrea said...

So happy you had this chance to go back and visit! Looks like it was filled with love and blessings!

I wonder every winter too, WHY we live here?!?!?!

Michelle said...

It was so great to have you here with us for a few short days. I guess we need to start planning our trip to Canada. Perhaps during the summer...