There are days when it feels a lot longer than two years since we've left Bolivia. The pang isn't so sharp anymore when I think of there and the desire to leave here isn't as strong. I think for the most part we are adjusting and I'm certainly becoming more content at being here. I think it helps when the weather is blazing hot and sweat is dripping down my back and I close my eyes and I almost hear the birds and the micros. It feels good that the kids have made good connections and are thriving. It feels good that when I think about leaving the home we have made here, I get sad. It feels good to find a place to serve here and a place of meaning. I have worked hard at being content in whatever situation that God calls me instead of wasting what is in front of me and pinning for something that maybe isn't going to ever be for me. So much of my life has been wasted waiting for the next thing instead of embracing what I have right in front of me. I want to live that lesson fully and I want to model that for my children but it's really hard.
We are hoping to go back soon. A few months ago we had thought that maybe over the Christmas season would be a good option and I smiled constantly at the thought of escaping the frigid cold and being able to celebrate with our friends in Bolivia. But as it turns out, it most likely won't be the best time, so we will probably put it off, Lord willing, until the early spring. It will still be hot there and if it's like this year, we'll still have snow. It will give the kids a few extra months to polish up their Spanish and for Elena to be a bit older so that she might remember a visit there.
I miss it terribly and I know our life there is forever etched into my being. I have to remember that when time keeps rolling along....
No comments:
Post a Comment