Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Mi Proyecto Grande

Like I don't have enough already to do, but here I go again, taking up another project.  But this one is big, really big.

It started a number of months ago when I joined a Spanish playgroup in fall.  There the kids get to have a little Spanish lesson with songs and we adults converse in Spanish.  It has been a great opportunity for me to keep up my Spanish and learn more and it's be so wonderful for Asha and Elena.  When Joel and Kezia had a Friday off from school, they were overjoyed that they could come too.  And yet, it made me sad because I knew that as soon as the kids were in school full time, they would have no Spanish language program to access.  Spanish education here starts in grade 9 and for me that was just too long to wait.

I started talking to my friend and the organizer of the playgroup and asked her why there wasn't any Spanish bilingual program here in our city.  Apparently there was a proposal a number of years ago but they didn't have the numbers.  I got to thinking for about 2 minutes and then I told Geni that I wanted to try again.  She offered to help me and so off I went home to create a facebook page and group and started making some phone calls.

Over the last few months we've meet with two school divisions, made contact with the Dept. of Education in Alberta, met with the Spanish Embassy's representative for language education, formed a group of supporters that include Dept. of Education of Manitoba, language consultants, different community members, representatives from the universities and the Spanish Teacher's Association.  We have been on the radio, in the newspaper and on t.v. promoting this proposal.  It's a lot of work, but we have over 100 kids on our list and we're hoping that over the next 2 months with all the festivals in the city, we can get the word out and add to the numbers for a formal proposal.  We have meet with city officials and are hoping that we can meet with provincial leaders in the next while as well.

I know it seems crazy, but I'm really passionate about this.  I think the time is right for our city and the whole community can benefit, regardless of their cultural or language background.  My kids may or may not be able to participate in the program, depending on what the province and school divisions decide for start date or grade, but we're not doing this for our own individual families.  We're doing this for our city.

Here's a link to the blog and for the facebook page.  If you live in my city and are interested in having your family a part of this, shoot me a message!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! That is awesome. My sister has found herself a similar unexpected position of activism and organizing as the immersion program her kids are in has come up for the chopping block. Parents are powerful, and I hope that your advocacy brings this about in your area.

Unknown said...

You're amazing, Kathy! I'm sure something grand will come of your efforts, and be a great benefit to your kids too (along with all the others). Looking forward to hearing more about this and all your other proyecto grandes - in person!!

The Enríquez-Zandstra family said...

Animo / Go for it! What a great project, and one I share your passion for. (We don't plan to enroll Sam and Nico in an immersion program, but we will do Spanish "home school" along with their formal schooling in English.) Que Dios bendiga tus esfuerzos!

Anita