I put the title of this post on my facebook status, and many of my friends were all concerned, especially the ones we had seen over the last few days "What's yellow fever?" "Are you really sick?". So I thought I would yank your chain a bit! Don't worry, I don't have the hemmorhagic black vomit; it's just some of the dead virus is floating around in my body.
On Thursday (after a completely empty Wednesday), Carl and I dropped the kids off at Judy's and headed to the Travel Clinic on Hargrave. We needed to get the first round of shots and gather information for us and the kids. When we got there, I realized it would have been a pretty good idea to have taken tylenol before we left so that my arms wouldn't feel as sore.
We met our nurse, and she was very pleasant. I'm amazed at how knowledgeable those nurses have to be. We name the country, where we will be staying and for how long, and she rattles off all the shots we need and how many we will need over the summer before we go.
I needed to get my Hep B shot, Measles/Mumps/Rubella, and Yellow Fever shot. Carl had those three, plus Hep A. The nurse stepped out to prepare the needles, and I prepared myself mentally to become a pin cushion. The needles didn't hurt too much, but I was more concerned with the side effects later on. Carl and I both were pretty sore afterwards, and Carl's joints were achy (one of the side effects of the yellow fever shot). Once we got home, we took a few tylenol and felt better. But it's amazing how even 2 days after, my arms are still sore.
I'm sort of dreading taking Joel and Kezia next Thursday because they have to get more needles than us (because some have to either be taken the same day, or 4 weeks apart). Joel really gets the short end of the stick because he's also due for his 5 year shots. I definitely won't be forgetting the tylenol for them, plus I think we'll owe them a trip to McDonald's after their pin cushion experience. Sigh, that's just life for us right now.
1 comment:
ahhh...the needle experience is a hard one. especially for us mama hens.
my parents nearly were missionaries to bangledesh and i remember (i was 3 years old0 getting shots for our planned trip overseas. it was one of those experiences where i definitely revealed my dramatic flare.
eep.
Post a Comment